For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
New Hampshire Commissioner of Education
|New Hampshire Commissioner of Education|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2013 FY Budget:||$956,646,267|
|Length of term:||4 years|
|Authority:||New Hampshire Statutes, Title I, Chapter 21-N, Section 21-N:2|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by Governor|
|Assumed office:||June 1, 2009|
|Other New Hampshire Executive Offices|
|Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Commissioner of Education • Agriculture Commissioner • Insurance Commissioner • Labor Commissioner • Director of Fish & Game • Public Utilities Commission|
The Commissioner "is responsible for the organizational goals of the department and represents the public interest in the administration of improving the effectiveness and efficiency of administrative and instructional services to all public schools in New Hampshire."
The current officeholder is Virginia Barry. She has served in this position since June 1, 2009.
Per Title I, Chapter 21-N, Section 21-N:2 of the New Hampshire Statutes:
There is hereby established the department of education, an agency of the state under the executive direction of a commissioner of education.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches the constitutional or statutory text that establishes the requirements necessary to qualify for a state executive office. That information for the New Hampshire Commissioner of Education has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches the constitutional or statutory text that details the process of filling vacancies for a state executive office. That information for the New Hampshire Commissioner of Education has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
The mission of the Department of Education is to "provide educational leadership and services which promote equal educational opportunities and quality practices and programs that enable New Hampshire residents to become fully productive members of society."
The Department of Education is divided into the following bureaus, divisions, and units:
- Commissioner's Office
- Deputy Commissioner's Office
- Office of Business Management
- Office of Human Resources Management
- Office of Legislation and Hearings
- Office of Public Information
- Division of Instruction
- Division of Program Support
- Division of Career Technology and Adult Learning
- Division of Higher Education
- See also: New Hampshire state budget and finances
The budget for the Commissioner of Education's office in Fiscal Year 2013 was $956,646,267.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
In 2013, the commissioner's salary remained at an estimated $112,861.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the New Hampshire Commissioner of Education has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term New Hampshire + Commissioner + of + Education
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
New Hampshire Department of Education
101 Pleasant Street
Concord, NH 03301-3860
Phone: 603-271-3494 or 603-271-3144
- Superintendent of Schools
- Virginia Barry
- New Hampshire school districts
- New Hampshire Department of Education
- Public education in New Hampshire
- New Hampshire Department of Education, "Commissioner's Office," accessed October 16, 2011
- New Hampshire Statutes, "21-N:2 Establishment; General Functions," accessed December 26, 2012
- New Hampshire Statutes, "21-N:3 Commissioner; Deputy Commissioner; Directors; Compensation," accessed October 16, 2011
- New Hampshire Education, "About Us" accessed September 5, 2012
- New Hampshire Education Department, "Divisions" accessed September 5, 2012
- New Hampshire General Court, "FY 2012-2013 Appropriations Act," accessed April 16, 2013
- Council of State Governments, "SELECTED STATE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICIALS: ANNUAL SALARIES," accessed December 3, 2014
- Council of State Governments, Table 4.11 Selected State Administrative Officials: Annual Salaries," accessed January 31, 2014