New Hampshire Commissioner of Education
|New Hampshire Commissioner of Education|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2013 FY Budget:||$956,646,267|
|Length of term:||4 years|
|Authority:||New Hampshire Statutes, Title I, Chapter 21-N, Section 21-N:2|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by Governor|
|Assumed office:||June 1, 2009|
|Other New Hampshire Executive Offices|
|Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Commissioner of Education • Agriculture Commissioner • Insurance Commissioner • Labor Commissioner • Director of Fish & Game • Public Utilities Commission|
The Commissioner "is responsible for the organizational goals of the department and represents the public interest in the administration of improving the effectiveness and efficiency of administrative and instructional services to all public schools in New Hampshire."
The current officeholder is Virginia Barry. She has served in this position since June 1, 2009.
Per Title I, Chapter 21-N, Section 21-N:2 of the New Hampshire Statues:
There is hereby established the department of education, an agency of the state under the executive direction of a commissioner of education.
The mission of the Department of Education is to "provide educational leadership and services which promote equal educational opportunities and quality practices and programs that enable New Hampshire residents to become fully productive members of society."
The Department of Education is divided into the following bureaus, divisions, and units:
- Commissioner's Office
- Deputy Commissioner's Office
- Office of Business Management
- Office of Human Resources Management
- Office of Legislation and Hearings
- Office of Public Information
- Division of Instruction
- Division of Program Support
- Division of Career Technology and Adult Learning
- Division of Higher Education
The budget for the Commissioner of Education's office in Fiscal Year 2013 was $956,646,267.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
New Hampshire Department of Education
101 Pleasant Street
Concord, NH 03301-3860
Phone: 603-271-3494 or 603-271-3144
- ↑ New Hampshire Department of Education, "Commissioner's Office," accessed October 16, 2011
- ↑ New Hampshire Statutes "21-N:2 Establishment; General Functions," Accessed December 26, 2012
- ↑ New Hampshire Statutes, "21-N:3 Commissioner; Deputy Commissioner; Directors; Compensation," accessed October 16, 2011
- ↑ New Hampshire Education "About Us" Accessed September 5, 2012
- ↑ New Hampshire Education Department "Divisions" Accessed September 5, 2012
- ↑ New Hampshire General Court, "FY 2012-2013 Appropriations Act," accessed April 16, 2013