New Hampshire Representation by District, Question 2 (2006)

From Ballotpedia
Jump to: navigation, search
New Hampshire Constitution
Flag of New Hampshire.png
Part First
Part Second
County Treasurer
Public Question 2 was on the November 7, 2006 statewide ballot in New Hampshire as a legislatively-referred constitutional amendment, where it was approved.[1]

Question 2 amended the New Hampshire Constitution to set rules for redistricting in New Hampshire.

Election results

Question 2
Approveda Yes 240,767 70.5%

Ballot wording

The text of the measure said:

Are you in favor of amending the second part of the Constitution by amending article 11 to read as follows:

[Art.] 11. [Small Towns; Representation by Districts.] When the population of any town or ward, according to the last federal census, is within a reasonable deviation from the ideal population for one or more representative seats, the town or ward shall have its own district of one or more representative seats. The apportionment shall not deny any other town or ward membership in one non-floterial representative district. When any town, ward, or unincorporated place has fewer than the number of inhabitants necessary to entitle it to one representative, the legislature shall form those towns, wards, or unincorporated places into representative districts which contain a sufficient number of inhabitants to entitle each district so formed to one or more representatives for the entire district. In forming the districts, the boundaries of towns, wards, and unincorporated places shall be preserved and contiguous. The excess number of inhabitants of a district may be added to the excess number of inhabitants of other districts to form at-large or floterial districts conforming to acceptable deviations. The legislature shall form the representative districts at the regular session following ever decennial federal census." (This question is submitted to the voters by the 2006 Legislature on votes of 256-55in the House of Representatives and 16-7 in the Senate. CACR 41)

See also

Suggest a link