New Jersey Public Utilities Board
|New Jersey Public Utilities Board|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2012-2013 FY Budget:||$90,665,000|
|Length of term:||6 years|
|Authority:||New Jersey State Statutes, Title 48, Section 2-1|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by Governor|
|Other New Jersey Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Comptroller• Commissioner of Education • Agriculture Secretary • Insurance Commissioner • Commissioner of Environmental Protection • Labor Commissioner • Public Utilities Board|
The mission statement of the board is as follows:
"To ensure the provision of safe, adequate and proper utility and regulated service at reasonable rates, while enhancing the quality of life for the citizens of New Jersey and performing these public duties with integrity, responsiveness and efficiency."
The Board of Public Utilities is established by Title 48, Section 2-1 of the New Jersey State Statutes:
The Board of Public Utilities, named pursuant to Reorganization Plan No. 001-1994, effective on July 4, 1994, and allocated in, but not of, the Department of the Treasury pursuant to that plan, is continued and is designated as the Board of Public Utilities or the "board."
In order to serve on the board a citizen must "devote their entire time to the duties of the board and shall not engage in any occupation, profession or other gainful employment."
Per Title 48:2–1 of the New Jersey Statutes the members of the board are appointed to six-year terms by the governor with the advice and consent of the Senate. No more than three members may be members of the same political party.
In the event of a vacancy the Governor, with the advice and consent of the Senate, makes an appointment for the rest of the unexpired term.
The board oversees and regulates utilities, such as natural gas, electricity, water, telecommunications and cable television.
The board is composed of the following divisions:
- Cable TV
- Economic Development & Energy Policy
- Customer Assistance
- Office of the Economist
- Reliability & Security
The budget for Economic Regulation for fiscal year 2013 was $90,665,000, and the Energy Assistance Programs budget for fiscal year 2012-2013 was $65,705,000.
In 2013, the board's salary remained at $141,000.
New Jersey Board of Public Utilities
Two Gateway Center (8th Floor)
Newark, NJ 07102
Email: Online Contact Form
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the New Jersey Public Utilities Board has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term New Jersey + Public + Utilities + Board
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Public Services Commissioner
- President Dianne Solomon
- Commissioners Joseph L. Fiordaliso, Mary-Anna Holden and Jeanne M. Fox
- New Jersey state executive offices
- New Jersey Board of Public Utilities, "About the Board," October 29, 2011
- New Jersey Board of Public Utilities, "Dianne Solomon," February 21, 2014
- New Jersey Board of Public Utilities, " Meet the Commissioners," accessed July 2, 2013
- New Jersey Permanent Statutes Database, "48:2-1 Board of Public Utilities continued; membership; terms," accessed October 29, 2011
- The State of New Jersey Board of Public Utilities, About BPU
- The State of New Jersey Board of Public Utilities, Divisions
- Appropriations Handbook FY 2012-2013, "Treasury," B-179, accessed June 24, 2013
- Council of State Governments, Table 4.11 Selected State Administrative Officials: Annual Salaries, accessed January 31, 2014
- The Council of State Governments, "The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11," accessed June 22, 2011