New Jersey Same-Sex Marriage Referendum (2012)
|Not on Ballot|
| This measure did not or |
will not appear on a ballot
The proposal would have asked voters if same-sex marriage should be legalized.
The measure has not been formally filed but has been mentioned by Gov. Chris Christie. The proposal developed following conversations during the 2012 legislative session about legalizing same-sex marriage. Christie has stated that he would veto such a bill and favors sending the question to the voters as a veto referendum.
Some lawmakers argue that such a "politically sensitive" subject should not be placed on the ballot. "Marriage equality isn’t like sports betting. It’s a civil right, which is already guaranteed in our Constitution. It’s up to the Legislature to guarantee these rights," said Senator Raymond Lesniak.
- See also: Polls, 2012 ballot measures
- On February 14, 2012, results were released by the Rutgers Eagleton Institute of Politics that showed support for same-sex marriage in the state. According to reports, 4% of the poll stated they were for civil unions but against gay marriage, therefore the bottom results add up to 96%. The margin of error of the poll was plus or minus 3.3%.
|Date of Poll||Pollster||In favor||Opposed||Undecided||Number polled|
|February 9-11, 2012||Rutgers Eagleton Institute of Politics||54%||35%||7%||914|
- Associated Press, "N.J. gay rights advocates fight a vote on same-sex marriage," January 30, 2012
- CNN, "Same-Sex Marriage Debate Flares Up In N.J.," January 28, 2012 (dead link)
- Bloomberg News, "Christie Says He'd Abide by N.J. Gay Marriage Ballot Results," January 25, 2012
- Associated Press, "Senate Panel OKs Gay Marriage Bill; Gov Vows Veto," January 24, 2012
- The New York Times, "Christie Wants Voters to Decide on Gay Marriage," January 24, 2012
- The Huffington Post, "Chris Christie Gay Marriage Stance: Would Veto Bill Legalizing Same-Sex Unions, Supports Ballot Measure," January 24, 2012
- Eagle Poll, "Rutgers-Eagleton Poll February 9-11, 2012," Obtained February 16, 2012