New Mexico Superintendent of Insurance
|New Mexico Superintendent of Insurance|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by the Public Regulation Commission|
|Assumed office:||August 2010|
|Other New Mexico Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Commissioner of Public Lands • Secretary of Education • Agriculture Secretary • Insurance Superintendent • Secretary of Energy, Minerals and Natural Resources • Secretary of Workforce Solutions • Public Regulation Commission • Public Education Commission|
On July 1, 2013, the Insurance Division became the Office of Superintendent of Insurance, an independent state agency. Prior to July 2013, Superintendent oversaw the Division of Insurance within the Public Regulation Commission.
The current officeholder is John Franchini. He has served in this position since 2010.
The New Mexico Office of Superintendent of Insurance was created by constitutional amendment in 2012. Prior to this, it was a division with in the Public Regulation Commission. The office's powers, term of office, etc. are derived from Article XI of the New Mexico Constitution.
Article XI, Section 20:
| Sec. 20. Creation of office of superintendent of insurance.
A. The office of "superintendent of insurance" is created as of July 1, 2013. The superintendent of insurance shall regulate insurance companies and others engaged in risk assumption in such manner as provided by law....
The Superintendent of Insurance is appointed by the insurance nominating committee.
In 2013, the superintendent was paid an estimated $100,000.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term New + Mexico + Superintendent + Insurance
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
P.O. Box 1269
Santa Fe, NM 87504-1269
P.E.R.A. Bldg., 4th Floor
1120 Paseo de Peralta
Santa Fe, New Mexico 87501
1-8884ASKPRC: (888) 427-5772
Switchboard: (505) 827-4601
Toll Free in New Mexico: (800) 947-4722
Service of Process: (505) 827-4336
Fax Number: (505) 827-4734
- New Mexico Public Regulation Commission, " Department of Insurance homepage," accessed June 7, 2013 (dead link)
- New Mexico Constitution, "Article XI, Section 20," accessed August 2, 2013
- Council of State Governments, "SELECTED STATE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICIALS: ANNUAL SALARIES," accessed December 3, 2014
- Council of State Governments, Table 4.11 Selected State Administrative Officials: Annual Salaries," accessed January 31, 2014
- The Council of State Governments, "The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11," accessed June 22, 2011