North Dakota Property Transfer Tax Ban Amendment, Measure 2 (2014)
The North Dakota Property Transfer Tax Ban Amendment, Measure 2 is on the November 4, 2014 ballot in the state of North Dakota as a legislatively-referred constitutional amendment. The measure, upon voter approval, would prohibit the state and any political subdivision from imposing mortgage, sales or transfer taxes on the mortgage or transfer of real property.
Text of the measure
The official ballot text is as follows:
This constitutional measure would create and enact a new section to Article X of the North Dakota Constitution stating, “The state and any county, township, city, or any other political subdivision of the state may not impose any mortgage taxes or any sales or transfer taxes on the mortgage or transfer of real property.”
YES - means you approve the measure stated above.
NO - means you reject the measure stated above.
|The state and any county, township, city, or any political subdivision of the state may not impose any mortgage taxes or any sales or transfer taxes on the mortgage or transfer of real property.|
As of September 2014, 36 states, including bordering Minnesota and South Dakota, impose transfer taxes. The other 14 do not, and 5 states, such as Montana and Wyoming, have banned the transfer tax in their state constitutions.
- North Dakota Association of Realtors
Path to the ballot
- See also: Amending the North Dakota Constitution
According to Section 16 of Article IV of the North Dakota Constitution, the legislature had to approve the bill by a simple majority in order to place the measure on the ballot. HCR 3006 was passed by the North Dakota Senate on April 10, 2013. HCR 3006 was passed by the North Dakota House on April 22, 2013.
April 10, 2013 Senate vote
|North Dakota HCR 3006 Senate Vote|
April 22, 2013 House vote
|North Dakota HCR 3006 House Vote|
- North Dakota Legislature, "House Concurrent Resolution No. 3006," accessed January 21, 2014
- North Dakota Secretary of State, "Official Ballot Language for Measures Appearing on the Election Ballot," accessed September 4, 2014
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Williston Herald, "Measure 2 gains local support, ire toward Legislature," September 16, 2014
- The Jamestown Sun, "N.D. Realtors group supports yes vote on Measure 2 tax issue," August 15, 2014
- North Dakota Legislature, "Bill Actions for HCR 3006," accessed January 22, 2014
State of North Dakota
List of North Dakota ballot measures | Local measures | School bond issues | Ballot measure laws | Initiative laws | History of I&R | History of direct democracy | Campaign Finance Requirements | Recall process |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Director of Game and Fish | Commissioner of Labor | Public Service Commission |