For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
North Dakota Smoking Ban Initiative, Measure 4 (2012)
|Smoking Ban Initiative|
|Constitution:||North Dakota Constitution|
The North Dakota Smoking Ban Initiative was on the 2012 ballot in North Dakota as an initiated state statute, where it was approved. The measure banned smoking in all indoor workplaces. The measure was sponsored by the group Smoke-Free North Dakota.
- See also: 2012 ballot measure election results
|North Dakota Measure 4|
Officials results obtained from the North Dakota Secretary of State.
Text of measure
The official ballot text read as follows:
Initiated Statutory Measure No. 4
This initiated statutory measure would amend chapter 23-12 of the North Dakota Century Code. This measure would prohibit smoking, including the use of electronic smoking devices, in public places and most places of employment in the state, including certain outdoor areas. It would provide notification and enforcement responsibilities, along with penalties for violations.
YES — means you approve the measure summarized above.NO — means you reject the measure summarized above.
No formal support was identified.
No formal opposition was identified.
Path to the ballot
- See also: North Dakota signature requirements
Supporters were required to collect a minimum of 13,452 valid signatures and deliver them to the North Dakota Secretary of State by August 8, 2012, in order to qualify the measure for the November 2012 ballot.
Smoke-Free North Dakota submitted the initiative to the North Dakota Secretary of State on June 13, 2012, for approval before circulation. The measure was then approved by the Secretary of State on June 22.
- Valley City times Record, "Tobacco coordinator backs ban on smoking," June 18, 2012
- North Dakota Secretary of State, "Ballot measure 4," accessed September 19, 2012
- Timeline of measure, retrieved from Secretary of State website
- Associated Press, "Claim: 20K signatures for ND anti-tobacco campaign enough for vote," August 2, 2012 (dead link)
- Associated Press, "UPDATE Eight NDSU football players charged with petition fraud," September 4, 2012 (dead link)