Ohio Gubernatorial Term Limits, Issue 1 (1954)
|Ohio Issue 1 (1954)|
Text of measure
The language appeared on the ballot as:
|“||Proposing to amend Section of Article III, and Section 1 and 2 of Article XVII of the Constitution of the State of Ohio to provide that the Governor, Lieutenant Governor, Secretary of State, Treasurer of State, and Attorney General shall hold their offices for four years commencing on the second Monday of January, 1959. The Auditor of State shall hold his office for a term of two years from the second Monday of January, 1961 to the second Monday of January 1963 and thereafter shall hold his office for a four year term. No person shall hold the office of Governor for a period longer than two successive terms of four years.
If the votes for the proposal exceed those against it, this amendment shall take effect and existing section 2 of Article III and section 1 and 2 of Article XVII of the Constitution of the State of Ohio shall be repealed as of July 1, 1957.
TO AMEND SECTION 2 OF ARTICLE III AND SECTIONS 1 AND 2 OF ARTICLE XVII OF THE CONSTITUTION OF THE STATE OF OHIO TO PROVIDE FOR FOUR-YEAR TERMS OF OFFICE FOR THE GOVERNOR, LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR, TREASURER OF STATE, ATTORNEY GENERAL, AND SECRETARY OF STATE, AND TO LIMIT THE OFFICE OF GOVERNOR TO TWO SUCCESSIVE TERMS. 
Nearly four decades later, in 1992, Ohioans approved similar limits on the number of terms that could be served by the state's other statewide constitutional officers, when they enacted the Ohio Issue 4, Statewide Constitutional Officers Term Limits Initiative (1992).
- Ohio 1954 ballot measures
- 1954 ballot measures
- List of Ohio ballot measures
- List of ballot measures by year
- List of ballot measures by state
- Ohio Secretary of State, "1950-1959 Official Election Results," accessed July 23, 2013
- Ohio Secretary of State, "A History of Statewide Issue Votes in Ohio," accessed July 23, 2013
- Youngstown Vindicator, "Official Questions and Issues Ballot," November 1, 1954
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
State of Ohio
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of State | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Superintendent of Industrial Compliance and Labor | Chairman of Public Utilities |