Ohio Highway Bonds, Amendment 1 (May 1964)
The Ohio Highway Bonds Amendment, also known as Amendment 1, was on the May 5, 1964 ballot in Ohio as a legislatively-referred constitutional amendment, where it was approved. The measure raised the public debt by $500 million in order to permit the state to issue bonds for highways.
|Ohio Amendment 1 (May 1964)|
Election results via: Ohio Secretary of State
Text of measure
The language appeared on the ballot as:
|“||To amend Article VIII of the Constitution of the State of Ohio to provide adequate highways in Ohio and to issue bonds or other obligations in an amount not to exceed five hundred million dollars to provide funds therefor, payable from fees, excises or license taxes, relating to registration, operation, or use of vehicles on public highways, or to fuels used for propelling such vehicles.
SHALL ARTICLE VIII OF THE CONSTITUTION OF OHIO BE AMENDED TO AUTHORIZE THE STATE TO ISSUE AND SELL BONDS OR OTHER OBLIGATIONS IN AN AMOUNT NOT TO EXCEED $500,000,000 TO PROVIDE FUNDS FOR HIGHWAYS, THE FAITH AND CREDIT OF THE STATE TO BE PLEDGED FOR THE PAYMENT THEREOF AND SUCH OBLIGATIONS TO BE PAYABLE FROM THESE EXCISES OR LICENSE TAXES RELATING TO REGISTRATION, OPERATION, OR USE OF VEHICLES ON PUBLIC HIGHWAYS AND FROM TAXES ON FUELS USED IN PROPELLING SUCH VEHICLES? 
- Ohio 1964 ballot measures
- 1964 ballot measures
- List of Ohio ballot measures
- History of Initiative & Referendum in Ohio
- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, "Ohio Constitution: Table of Proposed Amendments," accessed February 11, 2015
- Ohio Secretary of State, "Amendment and Legislation: Proposed Constitutional Amendments, Initiated Legislation, and Laws Challenged by Referendum, Submitted to the Electors," accessed February 11, 2015
- State Library of Ohio, "Proposed constitutional amendments, initiated legislation and laws challenged by referendum, submitted to the electors," accessed February 11, 2015
- Hamilton Daily News Journal, "Ballot Measures," May 2, 1964
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
State of Ohio
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of State | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Superintendent of Industrial Compliance and Labor | Chairman of Public Utilities |
|historical ballot measure article requires that the text of the measure be added to the page.|