Ohio Gas Tax, Amendment 2 (1934)
The Ohio Gas Tax Amendment, also known as Amendment 2, was on the November 6, 1934 ballot in Ohio as an initiated constitutional amendment, where it was defeated. The measure would have required taxes on gas to be measured by a sum for each gallon, with a limit of three cents per gallon. The measure also would have restricted use of the generated tax funds to public thoroughfares and related purposes.
|Ohio Amendment 2 (1934)|
Election results via: Ohio Secretary of State
Text of measure
The language that appeared on the ballot:
|“||Proposing to amend Article XII of the Constitution of the State of Ohio by adopting Section 5b, relative to motor vehicle fuel excise taxes and the use of the revenue derived therefrom.
Section 5b. Excise taxes imposed upon the receipt, storage, use, disposition or purchase of fuel suitable for use in propelling motor vehicles, or upon any two or more of the same, shall be measured by a specific sum for each unit of quantity, which shall not exceed three cents per gallon, shall be applied only for public thoroughfare purposes, including the control and protect-on of traffic thereon, and shall not be diverted, by transfer of funds or otherwise, to any other object.
The foregoing section shall take effect on the first day of July, 1935
SHALL THIS PROPOSED AMENDMENT BE ADOPTED? 
- Ohio 1934 ballot measures
- 1934 ballot measures
- List of Ohio ballot measures
- History of Initiative & Referendum in Ohio
- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, "Ohio Constitution: Table of Proposed Amendments," accessed February 9, 2015
- Ohio Secretary of State, "Amendment and Legislation: Proposed Constitutional Amendments, Initiated Legislation, and Laws Challenged by Referendum, Submitted to the Electors," accessed February 9, 2015
- State Library of Ohio, "Proposed constitutional amendments, initiated legislation and laws challenged by referendum, submitted to the electors," accessed February 9, 2015
- Painesville Telegraph, "Below is printed a fac-simile of the Proposed Amendment To The Constitution Ballot that will be given to the voters on Tuesday, Nov. 6th" November 3, 1934
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
State of Ohio
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of State | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Superintendent of Industrial Compliance and Labor | Chairman of Public Utilities |
|historical ballot measure article requires that the text of the measure be added to the page.|