New editions of the State Legislative Tracker and The Policy Tracker available now!

Ohio Issue 1, the Riverboat Gambling Initiative (1996)

From Ballotpedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Voting on Gambling
Ballot Measures
By state
By year
Not on ballot
Local Measures
Ohio Constitution
Seal of Ohio.svg.png
The Ohio Riverboat Gambling Amendment, also known as Issue 1, was on the November 5, 1996 ballot in Ohio as an initiated constitutional amendment, where it was defeated.[1] This amendment would have legalized gambling on casino riverboats in Ohio.

Election results

Ohio Issue 1 (1996)
Defeatedd No2,659,07561.85%
Yes 1,639,955 38.15%

Election results via the Ohio Secretary of State.[2]

Text of measure

The language appeared on the ballot as:[3]

Proposed Constitutional Amendment

To amend Section 6 of Article XV of the Constitution of the State of Ohio.

In order to authorize the establishment of river boat casino gambling in Ohio, this amendment would:

  1. Authorize the establishment of permanently moored river boat casino gaming facilities to conduct games and schemes of chance without wagering limits, excluding bingo and dog or horse races, on rivers in the following locations: two in the city of Cincinnati, one (1) in Hamilton County outside of Cincinnati, three (3) in the city of Cleveland, one (1) in the city of Lorain, and one (1) in Mahoning County.
  2. River boat casino gaming facilities may be established in designated locations only if this amendment is approved at this election by a majority of electors who vote on the amendment in a county in which the facility would be located.
  3. Establish a gaming commission to license and regulate the operation of river boat casino gaming facilities and to license all casino operators and employees, manufacturers and vendors of gaming devices, and other persons.
  4. Levy a twenty percent (20%) monthly gaming fee on gross revenues of games or schemes of chance conducted at river boat casino gaming facilities after deduction of total prizes paid to patrons. The fee proceeds shall be distributed as follows: eighty percent (80%) to primary and secondary public schools for educational purposes, ten percent (10%) to the municipality or township in which the facility is located, and ten percent (10%) to the county in which the facility is located.
  5. Prohibit the levy of any additional taxes or fees relating solely to gaming except an initial application fee to operate a gaming facility.
  6. Prohibit any person under the age of twenty-one (21) from participating in authorized gaming as a patron or employee.

If adopted, this amendment will be effective in thirty (30) days.

Shall the proposed amendment be adopted? [4]

See also

Suggest a link

External links