For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Ohio Right to Work, Amendment 2 (1958)
The Ohio Right to Work Amendment, also known as Amendment 2, was on the November 4, 1958 ballot in Ohio as an initiated constitutional amendment, where it was defeated. The measure would have forbidden labor contracts which established union membership as a condition for achieving or continuing employment.
|Ohio Amendment 2 (1958)|
Election results via: Ohio Secretary of State
Text of measure
The language appeared on the ballot as:
|“||Proposing to amend Article I of the Constitution of the State of Ohio by adopting a section to be designated as Section 1a, to read as follows:
Sec. 1a. No employer or labor organization shall, deny or abridge the right to work by requiring membership or non-membership in, or payment or non-payment of money to, a labor organization as a condition of employment or continued employment in this state. All agreements in conflict with this section are, to the extent of such conflict, unlawful and of no effect in this state.
This amendment shall take effect at the earliest time permitted by the Constitution: but conduct otherwise made unlawful by this amendment, if authorized, or required by a written agreement theretofore made, shall, notwithstanding this amendment, be lawful during so much of the period of such agreement as does not extend beyond two years after this amendment takes effect.
SHALL THE PROPOSED AMENDMENT TO THE CONSTITUTION OF THE STATE OF OHIO, DECLARING UNLAWFUL ANY CONTRACTS AND PRACTICES OF EMPLOYERS AND LABOR ORGANIZATIONS WHEREBY MEMBERSHIP OR NONMEMBERSHIP IN A LABOR ORGANIZATION, OR PAYMENT OR NONPAYMENT OF MONEY TO SUCH AN ORGANIZATION IS MADE A CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT OR CONTINUED EMPLOYMENT, BUT SAVING FOR NOT MORE THAN TWO YEARS CONDUCT PURSUANT TO A WRITTEN AGREEMENT MADE BEFORE THE EFFECTIVE DATE OF THE AMENDMENT, BE ADOPTED? 
- Ohio 1958 ballot measures
- 1958 ballot measures
- List of Ohio ballot measures
- History of Initiative & Referendum in Ohio
- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, "Ohio Constitution: Table of Proposed Amendments," accessed February 10, 2015
- Ohio Secretary of State, "Amendment and Legislation: Proposed Constitutional Amendments, Initiated Legislation, and Laws Challenged by Referendum, Submitted to the Electors," accessed February 10, 2015
- State Library of Ohio, "Proposed constitutional amendments, initiated legislation and laws challenged by referendum, submitted to the electors," accessed February 10, 2015
- Hamilton Daily News Journal, "Sample Ballots for General Election," November 1, 1958
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
State of Ohio
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of State | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Superintendent of Industrial Compliance and Labor | Chairman of Public Utilities |
|historical ballot measure article requires that the text of the measure be added to the page.|