Ohio to fill seven post-election vacancies
By Tyler Millhouse
COLUMBUS, Ohio: Following the 2010 general election and John Kasich's successful gubernatorial challenge, seven vacancies have been created across the state. Three resulted from appointments made by Gov. Kasich, three from a candidate's election to higher office, and one from a candidate-elect's declining to take office. In Ohio, vacancies are filled by an election conducted by the members of the legislative house where the vacancy occurred. Only members of the departing legislator's party may vote, and a simple majority is sufficient for confirmation. Since members are replaced by their own party, vacancies do not affect the legislature's partisan balance.
The following is a list of the districts affected by vacancies:
- Senate District 1: State Representative Cliff Hite (R) has been selected to replace Stephen Buehrer (R) who was appointed to serve as Administrator of the Ohio Bureau of Workers Compensation.
- Senate District 6: State Representative Peggy Lehner (R) has been selected to replace Jon Husted (R) who was elected Ohio Secretary of State.
- Senate District 22: Attorney Larry Obhof Jr. (R) has been selected to replace Bob Gibbs (R) who was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives. Obhof is currently involved a 20 state challenge of the federal health care reform law.
- House District 37: Attorney James Butler (R) has been selected to replace Peggy Lehner (R) who was appointed to the vacancy in Ohio State Senate District 6.
- House District 77: Former State Representative Jim Buchy was selected to replace Jim Zehringer (R) who was appointed to serve as the Director of the Ohio Department of Agriculture.
- House District 98: Current State Representative Richard Hollington (R) was selected to remain in his seat after declining to run for re-election in November. State Senator Timothy Grendell (R), in a bid to return to the house, ran for and won the District 98 seat. However, disappointed with his prospective replacements, Grendell decided to remain in the senate. Hollington was originally appointed to the District 98 seat in 2010 to fill a prior vacancy.
- House District 76: District 76 remains vacant as the Republican Caucus seeks a replacement for Cliff Hite (R) who was appointed to fill a vacancy Ohio State Senate District 1.
- Ohio 2010 legislative election results
- Ohio State Senate elections, 2010
- Ohio House of Representatives elections, 2010
- State legislative elections, 2010
- The Ada Herald, "Hite recommended for 1st Ohio Senate District by screening committee," January 15, 2011
- tcnewsnet.com, Lehner returns to Ohio Senate, Butler takes seat in House," January 13, 2011 (dead link)
- The Daily Record, "Obhof tapped in Gibbs' former post," January 13, 2011
- WHIOtv.com, "Buchy Back In Ohio General Assembly," January 11, 2011
- Columbus Dispatch, "Grendell to forsake House seat, will stay in Senate," November 30, 2010
- Cleveland Plain Dealer, "Hollington subbed into Ohio House seat," February 3, 2010