Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
|Oklahoma City, Oklahoma|
|Last mayoral election:||2014|
|Next mayoral election:||2018|
|Last city council election:||2013|
|Next city council election:||2015|
|City council seats:||9|
|2014-15 FY Budget:||$1.1 billion|
|Population in 2013:||610,613|
Hispanic or Latino 14.1%
African American 15.1%
Native American 3.5%
Two or More 5.2%
|Median household income:||$45,704|
|High school graduation rate:||85.0%|
|College graduation rate:||28.0%|
|Related Oklahoma City offices|
|Oklahoma Congressional Delegation • Oklahoma State Legislature • Oklahoma state executive offices|
Oklahoma City utilizes a council-manager system. In this form of municipal government, an elected city council, which includes the mayor and serves as the city's primary legislative body, appoints an executive called a city manager to oversee the city's day-to-day operations.
The city council is Oklahoma City's primary legislative body. It is responsible for approving and adopting the city budget, levying taxes and making or amending city laws, policies and ordinances.
The city council consists of nine members including the mayor. While the mayor is elected at large, the other eight council members are elected by the city's eight wards. 
A full list of city council members can be found here
The city council features several commissions, boards and committees, which are responsible for reviewing, analyzing, and commenting upon city policies and legislation. In addition to elected city council members, non-elected citizens may also sit on select advisory boards.
For a full list of Oklahoma City's commissions, boards and committees, see here
Incumbent Mick Cornett defeated challengers Ed Shadid, Joe Sarge Nelson and Phil Hughes in the March 4, 2014 mayoral election. Because Cornett won with over 50 percent of the vote, a runoff election was not necessary.
|Mayor of Oklahoma City, 2014|
|Mick Cornett Incumbent||64.3%||25,517|
|Joe Sarge Nelson||0.7%||284|
|Source: Oklahoma State Election Board|
Oklahoma City's operating budget for the 2014-15 fiscal year was $1.1 billion, of which $415 million constituted the "general fund," the funds necessary to maintain the city's day-to-day operations.
Office of the Mayor
200 N Walker, 3rd Floor
Oklahoma City, OK 73102
See here to contact individual Council members.
Oklahoma City's initiative process follows state law (see Laws governing local ballot measures in Oklahoma for details) for both charter amendment and ordinances.
- See also: Evaluation of Oklahoma city websites
|Transparency grading process|
- Elected officials
- The Mayor and city council officials contact information are posted online.
- Agendas, videos, and minutes are available for City Council Meetings.
- Current and past budgets are posted.
- Budgets are archived to 2005.
- Contact information for city administration officials is posted.
- City of Oklahoma City’s bids and RFPs are posted.
- Financial audits are available.
- Audits are archived to 2002.
- Public records
- Local tax rates, including sales tax and hotel/ motel taxes, along with monthly collection reports are posted.
- Contracts with lobbyists and membership dues to lobbying organizations are not disclosed.
- Official site for Oklahoma City
- Office of the Mayor
- City Council
- U.S. Census "State and County Quick Facts"
- Oklahoma City Municipal Code
- U.S. Census, "State and County Quick Facts," accessed on August 12, 2014
- Oklahoma City, "Mayor and Council," accessed on September 2, 2014
- Oklahoma City, "Office of the Mayor," accessed on August 12, 2014
- Oklahoma City, "Boards and Commissions," accessed on August 11, 2014
- City of Oklahoma City "Candidates for the March 2014 Election" accessed February 14, 2014
- KOCO.com "Mick Cornett wins mayoral race with nearly 66% of vote," March 5, 2014
- Oklahoma State Election Board, "Official election results," accessed July 4, 2014
- Oklahoma City, "Budget and Finance," accessed on August 12, 2014
- Oklahoma City, "Elected Officials," accessed on August 12, 2014
- Oklahoma City, "Agenda and Minutes," accessed on August 12, 2014
- Oklahoma City, "Budget," accessed on August 12, 2014
- Oklahoma City, "Administration," accessed on August 12, 2014
- Building permits, accessed on August 12, 2014
- Oklahoma City, "Zoning Information," accessed on August 12, 2014
- Oklahoma City, "Bids and RFP's," accessed on August 12, 2014
- Oklahoma City, "Audits," accessed on August 12, 2014
- Oklahoma City, "Public Records," accessed on August 12, 2014
- Oklahoma City, "Fees," accessed on August 12, 2014
- Oklahoma City, "Rates," accessed on August 12, 2014
- Oklahoma City, "Taxes," accessed on August 12, 2014
- Lobbying, accessed on August 12, 2014