Olson, Hagel & Fishburn
Olson, Hagel & Fishburn, on their website, say that they offer "...advice on compliance with election laws including laws affecting state and local ballot measures" and provide "representation for clients pursuing or defending legal actions under the California Elections Code and local election ordinances including litigation of ballot measure issues."
With respect to ballot measures, the firm says they provides these services:
- "Drafting proposals or reviewing drafts and initiative petitions for constitutional and legal sufficiency. Advising clients on numerous procedural requirements, including timely filing and publication of declaration of intent notices and required petition formats and restrictions. Challenging or defending in court the placement of a measure on the ballot, the title and summary assigned to a ballot measure, or the ballot arguments."
- "Election Campaign Services: Advising clients on various tax and organizational issues unique to ballot measure campaigns, including filing for tax exempt status with the Internal Revenue Service and Franchise Tax Board. Advising clients on the sponsorship identification and disclaimer requirements of state and federal law. Advising clients on Federal Communications Commission rules and regulations. Preparation and filing of all required campaign disclosure statements."
- "Post-Election Services: Challenging or defending substantive allegations involving the constitutionality or legality of voter-approved measures. Compliance with all financial and tax reporting requirements."
In 2010, Olson, Hagel & Fishburn provided legal services for seven of the statewide propositions on the California ballot.
- Proposition 14: $29,884
- Proposition 21: $88,944
- Proposition 22: $16,758
- Proposition 23: $98,871
- Proposition 24: $19,662
- Proposition 25: $132,318
- Proposition 26: $6,240
Olson & Hagel also filed language with the California Attorney General for some initiatives that ultimately did not qualify for the ballot, such as:
- California political consultants
- Vendors and consultants to California's 2010 ballot proposition campaigns