Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|South Dakota House of Representatives, District 25|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|South Dakota House District 25|
|Birthday||February 7, 1952|
Sorenson was a Teacher for Hyde County Public Schools from 1974 to 1974. He then worked as a Technician for Earth Resources Observation Science Data Center from 1975 to 1976. From 1977 to 2007, he taught at Dell Rapids Public Schools. He is currently a farmer.
Sorenson earned his B.A. from Sioux Falls College in 1974. Sorenson and his wife, Dawn, have three children.
Prior to leaving the South Dakota House of Representatives, Sorenson served on the following committees:
- Agriculture and Natural Resources Committee, South Dakota House
- Education Committee, South Dakota House
Elections for the office of South Dakota House of Representatives will take place in 2014. A primary election took place June 3, 2014. The general election will take place on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 25, 2014. Kristi Quaintance and Oran Sorenson were unopposed in the Democratic primary. Incumbent Kris Langer and Roger Hunt were unopposed in the Republican primary. Hunt and Langer are unopposed in the general election. Quaintance and Sorenson withdrew before the election.
Sorenson ran for re-election to one of two seats in District 25 of the South Dakota House of Representatives. Sorenson and Dennis Van Overschelde ran unopposed in the June 8 Democratic primary. Sorenson and Van Overschelde were defeated by Stace Nelson (R) and Jon Hansen (R) in the general election on November 2, 2010.
In 2008, Sorenson collected $8,383 in donations.
His five largest contributors in 2008 were:
|South Dakota Education Association||$500|
|21st Century Democrats PAC||$500|
|Tom and Julie Coburn||$500|
- South Dakota House of Representatives - Rep. Oran Sorenson
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2010, 2008
- South Dakota Secretary of State, "Current Candidates for Primary Election," May 2, 2014
- South Dakota Secretary of State, "Primary Election Unofficial Results," accessed June 3, 2014
- South Dakota Secretary of State's official results of June 8 primary
- South Dakota House of Representatives Official General Election Results, 2010
- 2008 contributions to Oran Sorenson
|South Dakota House of Representatives District 25
| Succeeded by|
Stace Nelson (R), Jon Hansen (R)