Oregon Administrator of Insurance
|Oregon Administrator of Insurance|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2011-2013 FY Budget:||$21,522,442|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by the Director of the Department of Consumer and Business Services|
|Assumed office:||November 2011|
|Other Oregon Executive Offices|
|Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Superintendent of Education • Agriculture Commissioner • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Commissioner • Labor Commissioner • Public Service Commission|
The current officeholder is Louis Savage. Former commissioner Teresa Miller left the office in November 2011 to become senior adviser to Steve Larsen, director of the Center for Consumer Information and Insurance Oversight at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Savage, who had been serving as interim commissioner since Miller's departure, was officially appointed to the position on May 30, 2012 by the department of consumer and business services Director, Patrick Allen.
The commissioner is appointed by the Director of the Department of Consumer and Business Services.
The missions of the insurance division is to "administer the Insurance Code for the protection of the insurance-buying public while supporting a positive business climate." The department works to this end by:
- licensing insurance companies and monitoring their solvency
- reviewing insurance products and premium rates for compliance.
- licensing insurance producers and consultants.
- resolving consumer complaints.
- investigating and penalizing companies and producers for violations of insurance law.
- monitoring the marketplace conduct of insurers and producers.
- educating the public about insurance issues.
- advocating reforms that protect the insurance-buying public.
- Consumer Advocacy
- Producer Licensing
- Market Surveillance
- Rates and Forms
- Financial Regulation
The budget for the Insurance Division in Fiscal Year 2011-2013 was $21,522,442.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Oregon Department of Insurance
350 Winter St NE
Salem, OR 97301-3883
Phone: (503) 947-7980
- ↑ Oregon Live, "Oregon's insurance commissioner takes federal job working on new health care law," November 15, 2011
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Department of Consumer & Business Services-Insurance Division," "Press Release: Lou Savage appointed Oregon Insurance Commissioner," May 30, 2012
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Insurance.Oregon.gov, "Insurance division organizations," accessed September 29, 2011
- ↑ Oregon Legislative Fiscal Office, "Analysis in the 2011-13 Legislatively Adopted Budget," accessed April 10, 2013