Oregon Cigarette Tax Increase, Measure 1 (January 1972)
The Oregon Cigarette Tax Increase Act, also known as Measure 1, was on the January 18, 1972 ballot in Oregon as a veto referendum, where it was approved, thus upholding the legislation. The measure increased the tax on cigarettes from four cents to nine cents per package.
|Oregon Measure 1 (January 1972)|
Election results via: Oregon Blue Book
Text of measure
The language appeared on the ballot as:
This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
1. INCREASES CIGARETTE TAX - Purpose: This measure increases the tax on cigarettes from 4¢ to 9¢ per package.
ESTIMATE OF FISCAL EFFECTS: The annual recurring state revenue from this measure is estimated to be between 12 and 15 million dollars. There will be no increased annual administrative costs.
- Citizens Against Raising Property Taxes
- State Senator Lynn Newbry
- State Representative Stafford Hansell
- State Representative Richard Eymann
- Oregon Homeowners Association
- Senior Citizens Against Any Sales Tax
- Students for Sensible Tax Reform
- Oregonians Against Any Sales Taxes
- State Senator Vern Cook
- State Senator Harl Haas
- State Senator Thomas R. Mahoney
- Oregon 1972 ballot measures
- 1972 ballot measures
- List of Oregon ballot measures
- History of Initiative & Referendum in Oregon
- Oregon Blue Book Initiative, Referendum and Recall: 1972-1978
- Oregon State Constitution
- State of Oregon Official Voters' Pamphlet January 1972
State of Oregon
List of Oregon ballot measures | Local measures | School bond issues | Ballot measure laws | Initiative laws | History of I&R | History of direct democracy | Campaign Finance Requirements | Recall process |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Administrator of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Fish and Wildlife | Commissioner of Labor and Industries | Commissioner of Public Utilities |