Oregon Ban on Games of Chance, Measure 6 (1938)
The Oregon Ban on Games of Chance Act, also known as Measure 6, was on the November 8, 1938 ballot in Oregon as a veto referendum, where it was approved, thus upholding the legislation. The measure banned all games of chance and provided punishments for violating the act.
|Oregon Measure 6 (1938)|
Election results via: Oregon Blue Book
Text of measure
The language appeared on the ballot as:
Referendum Ordered by Petition of the People
PROHIBITING SLOT MACHINES, PIN-BALL, DART AND OTHER SIMILAR GAMES - Purpose: Making unlawful and prohibiting the licensing, possession, display, operation or play of all games of chance, such as slot machines, dart games, pin-ball games and similar games and devices when operated for profit, either in cash, merchandise or other thing of value, whether involving an element of skill or not; punishing violation of this act by fine of not over $250 or county jail sentence not over 90 days; requiring sheriffs and other peace officers to confiscate and without delay destroy all such games involved in violating this act; repealing the present statute which purports to authorize licensing such games.
310. Yes. I vote for the proposed law.
311. No. I vote against the proposed law.
- Oregon 1938 ballot measures
- 1938 ballot measures
- List of Oregon ballot measures
- History of Initiative & Referendum in Oregon
- Oregon Blue Book Initiative, Referendum and Recall: 1938-1947
- Oregon State Constitution
- State of Oregon Official Voters' Pamphlet 1938
- Oregon State Library, "State of Oregon Official Voters' Pamphlet," accessed November 18, 2013
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
State of Oregon
List of Oregon ballot measures | Local measures | School bond issues | Ballot measure laws | Initiative laws | History of I&R | History of direct democracy | Campaign Finance Requirements | Recall process |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Administrator of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Fish and Wildlife | Commissioner of Labor and Industries | Commissioner of Public Utilities |