Counties in Oregon
Types of local government
Local government in Oregon consists of 36 counties and 241 cities. In addition, there are 1002 special districts and 230 independent school districts.
Counties may be:
- General law: of which there are 27
- Home rule charter: of which there are 9. Lane and Washington were the first to adopt home rule in 1962, followed by Hood River (1964), Multnomah (1967), Benton (1972), Jackson (1978), Josephine (1980), Clatsop (1988) and Umatilla (1993).
Cities may be:
- General law: of which there are 130
- Home rule charter: of which there are 111
Initiative process availability
Initiative is available for citizens of all cities and counties in Oregon.
- General law cities
- Charter cities (for ordinances and charter amendments)
- General law counties
- Charter counties (for county measures and charter amendments)
County website evaluations
- See also: Evaluation of Oregon county websites
As of 2009:
- 18 Oregon counties put their budget information on their websites.
- Nine counties included information on their websites about public government meetings.
- 28 included information about the county's elected officials.
- 28 included information about the county's administrative officials.
- 21 gave information about permits and zoning in the county.
- 12 counties put information on their websites about external audits.
- None of the counties provided information about its contracts with county vendors.
- None of the county websites disclosed whether the county belonged to any government sector lobbying associations.
- The county websites uniformly did not provide information on how to request public records using the Oregon Public Records Law.
- Only one county, Multnomah, provided some information about county taxes.
Ballotpedia evaluated ballot measure information on Oregon county websites in March 2012.
- National Association of Counties Website "County Seats," accessed September 18, 2013
- The U.S. Census Bureau's 2012 study of local governments
- Association of Oregon Counties, County Home Rule in Oregon, June, 2005
- Oregon Blue Book, County Government in Oregon
- League of Oregon Cities, links to city charters
- Ballotpedia: Types and #'s of local government by state
State of Oregon
List of Oregon ballot measures | Local measures | School bond issues | Ballot measure laws | Initiative laws | History of I&R | History of direct democracy | Campaign Finance Requirements | Recall process |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Administrator of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Fish and Wildlife | Commissioner of Labor and Industries | Commissioner of Public Utilities |