|U.S. Senate, Nebraska|
Flynn was born and raised in rural Nebraska. After graduating from the University of Nebraska in 1981, he started an insurance business and later became an investment adviser. He also helped to start and to lead a volunteer high school youth ministry program in his hometown of Schuyler for 13 years.
On his campaign website, Flynn listed ten issues. They are:
- On his website, Flynn says, "I have been involved in the health insurance industry for 30 years, or since I was 23 years old. During this time I have seen much, but one thing is consistent – the Federal Government has been getting more and more involved; and like President Ronald Reagan said: Government is the problem, not the solution."
- Foreign Policy
- On his website, Flynn says, "True consistency of American foreign policy is to be found not in its policies, which prudently change and adapt, but in its guiding principles, which are unchanging and permanent. America is a defender of liberty at home. Abroad, it maintains its independence and pursues its interests while standing for the idea of political freedom across the globe."
- National Security
- On his website, Flynn says, "When one thinks of national security we can forget what really gives a country true security. Of course the military is of utmost importance; but just having an exceptional military, which we do, is not the all-in-all. Even more important than the military is who the people are of the country."
- On his website, Flynn says, "Energy Independence: Government should neither inhibit or subsidize any form of energy."
- On his website, Flynn says, "Definition of Marriage by my 1969 version of The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language – The legal union of a man and woman as husband and wife."
- On his website, Flynn says, "Lawmakers should take a hard look at whether farm policies that were created to assist poor family farmers during the Great Depression are still valid today. These antiquated policies are not saving family farms and in fact."
- On his website, Flynn says, "Raising the debt ceiling was a mistake. It sent a signal to the markets that America is not serious about fiscal reform. The consequence is very likely to be that America will experience."
- On his website, Flynn says, "Theodore Roosevelt said it best “In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage…”"
- On his website, Flynn says, "I am pro-life; believing in the sanctity of life. If human life is negotiable, all other aspects of life are negotiable, then there is no truth."
- 2nd Amendment
- On his website, Flynn says, "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed..."
The primary took place on June 5, 2012.
|US Senate - Nebraska Republican Primary, 2012|
- Pat Flynn campaign website
- Endorsement announcement of Republican Liberty Caucus
- Journal Star article about Flynn's entry