|Virginia Superintendent of Public Instruction|
|October 1, 2008 - Present|
|Years in position||6|
|Elections and appointments|
|Appointed||October 1, 2008|
|Appointed by||Governor of Virginia Tim Kaine|
|Chief Deputy Superintendent of Public Instruction|
|Bachelor's||James Madison University|
|Master's||Virginia Commonwealth University|
|Ph.D.||University of Virginia|
A native of Brunswick County and a product of the Virginia public school system, Wright has spent her career working in education. She taught secondary and middle school math in Sussex and Chesterfield County public schools for ten years before taking a position with the Virginia Department of Education.
Wright has worked her way up in responsibility within the department. Her past positions include associate director of secondary instruction and state mathematics specialist, director of secondary instruction, assistant superintendent for instruction, deputy superintendent, acting superintendent, and chief deputy superintendent.
- BA, Mathematics, James Madison University
- MA, Mathematics education, Virginia Commonwealth University
- EdD, Mathematics education, University of Virginia
Virginia Superintendent of Public Instruction (2008-present)
Wright assumed the statewide office of Virginia Superintendent of Public Instruction on October 1, 2008. In her capacity as superintendent, Wright is the chief education officer of the commonwealth and serves as secretary of the Board of Education. Prior to her appointment, Wright served two years as Chief Deputy Superintendent under her predecessor Billy Cannaday.
Wright was first appointed superintendent of public instruction by then-Gov. Tim Kaine on July 24, 2008, and took office on October 1, 2008. She was subsequently reappointed on April 16, 2010 by Bob McDonnell following his election as governor.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Patricia + Wright + Virginia + Education"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Superintendent of Schools
- Virginia Superintendent of Public Instruction
- Virginia school districts
- Virginia Department of Education
- Virginia Department of Education, "Superintendent of public instruction: Patricia I. Wright - Biography," accessed September 5, 2011
- Virginia Department of Education, "Press release: Governor Kaine Announces Appointment of State Superintendent of Public Instruction ~ Chief Deputy Superintendent Dr. Patricia I. Wright to succeed Dr. Billy Cannaday," July 24, 2008
|Virginia Superintendent of Public Instruction
2008 - present
| Succeeded by|