|Minnesota State Senate District 9|
|2011 - present|
|January 3, 2017|
|Years in position||2|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Next election||November 8, 2016|
|Minnesota House of Representatives|
|2005 - 2007|
|Bachelor's||Oral Roberts University|
|Profession||Owner, Insurance Agency|
Gazelka is an insurance agent for State Farm in Madison and Brainerd, Minnesota. He has been a Chamber of Commerce president, a Kiwanis president, a school board chairman and the elder of his church, as well as the state director of a marriage mentoring program and a Defensive Driving program for senior citizens. He has coached BYAA and LRCC basketball and been a volunteer for Habitat for Humanity and the Lakes Area Pregnancy Support organization.
Gazelka's undergraduate degree is in Business Management from Oral Roberts University.
Gazelka's website highlights the following campaign themes:
- Excerpt:"We must not enact more government programs than we can pay for. I support individuals and families spending their own money in a capital and free-market enterprise system."
- Excerpt:"I will not support a tax increase. We expect our federal government to protect our borders and to protect our individual freedoms as Americans."
- Excerpt:"Private industry is far more efficient and effective in use of money than the government. Money is best spent by the citizens who earned it. I believe that if government has less money, it becomes more efficient and cost-effective."
- Excerpt:"First of all, we need to lower taxes on Minnesota businesses so they have a greater opportunity to be successful, which in turn will spur on job growth. "
- Excerpt:"We must drive down the cost of health insurance and resist the temptation to let the government decide what options we must take."
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Gazelka served on the following committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Rules and Administration|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Gazelka served on these committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Commerce and Consumer Protection, Vice-chair|
|• Environment and Natural Resources|
|• State Government Innovation and Veterans|
- See also: Minnesota State Senate elections, 2012
|Minnesota State Senate, District 9, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Paul Gazelka Incumbent||53.7%||20,527|
- See also: Minnesota State Senate elections, 2010
|Minnesota State Senate, District 12 (2010)|
|Paul Gazelka (R)||16530||51.51%|
|Taylor Stevenson (D)||11609||36.18%|
|Steve Park (D)||827||2.58%|
Gazelka defeated incumbent Paul Koering in the August 10, 2010 Republican primary by a margin of 3,752-2,857. Koering was seeking his third term.
Across the country in 2010, state senate elections were held in 43 states. 1,167 state senate seats were at stake. In all 1,167 state senate districts with an election in 2010, only 19 challengers (12 Democrats and 7 Republicans) defeated an incumbent state senator. Gazelka is one of the 7 Republican challengers who defeated an incumbent Republican state senator.
On his campaign website, Gazelka describes his policies in 12 areas; excerpts from his positions are:
- Fiscal policy: "We must not enact more government programs than we can pay for. I support individuals and families spending their own money in a capital and free-market enterprise system."
- Taxes: "I will not support a tax increase."
- Government: "Private industry is far more efficient and effective in use of money than the government."
- Jobs: "First of all, we need to lower taxes on Minnesota businesses so they have a greater opportunity to be successful, which in turn will spur on job growth."
- Health care: "We must drive down the cost of health insurance and resist the temptation to let the government decide what options we must take."
- Energy and Environment: "I support an energy and environmental policy that recognizes the importance of energy independence for our national security."
- Education: "We need a K-12 education policy that respects parent’s choice, is funded fairly and insists on local control."
- Immigration: "If you commit an illegal act, there should be consequences whether it is to the employer hiring illegal aliens or the illegal alien being sent back to their country of origin."
- Transportation: "A primary role of government is to provide infrastructure for transportation."
- Pro-life: "I believe that life begins at conception and ends at natural death. Adoption should always be the choice over abortion. When a young woman chooses to keep the child, we need to participate in helping the new family succeed."
- Strong Families: "We know that children are best raised with mom and dad, living together in a happy, healthy, life-long marriage."
- Stem-Cell Research: "I support adult stem-cell research which is the best ethical and scientific solution to help cure diseases."
Campaign donor information is not yet available for this year.
In 2010, Gazelka raised $49,458 in contributions. 
His two largest contributors were:
|Gazelka Volunteer Cmte||$4,910|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Paul + Gazelka + Minnesota + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Minnesota Senate Democrat Majority Passes Bill to Unionize Childcare Providers - Osakis Review
- Photos: Senate passes same-sex marriage bill - Minnesota Public Radio
- Early this week the State Senate voted on the controversial tax bill - Osakis Review
- $11 billion HHS budget bill on its way to governor's desk - St. Cloud Times
- Area lawmakers give mixed review to session - Brainerd Daily Dispatch
- Minnesota Legislature: As spending bills clear, time to talk taxes - Pioneer Press
- Crosslake 2013 Memorial Day Ceremony - Northland Press
- Minnesota senators pass immigrant education bill - Worthington Daily Globe
- Senators pass tax bill following uncertainty - Worthington Daily Globe
- Bill that freezes high ed tuition on way to Dayton; he says he'll sign - St. Cloud Times
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
Gazelka and his wife Maralee have five children.
- Paul Gazelka for State Senate, campaign website
- House website
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2010
- Paul Gazelka on Facebook
Keith Langseth (DFL)
|Minnesota State Senate District 9
| Succeeded by|
Paul Koering (R)
|Minnesota State Senate District 12
| Succeeded by|
Torrey Westrom (R)