|Minnesota House of Representatives District 16B|
|2009 - present|
|January 6, 2015|
|Years in position||4|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 4, 2008|
|Next election||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||Gustavus Adolphus College|
Torkelson is a farmer.
He is a member of the East Sveadahl Lutheran Church, Minnesota's Deer Hunters Association, Saint James Lions Club, and Governor Tim Pawlenty's Clean Water Council.
He is married and has 2 children.
Torkelson's website highlights the following campaign themes:
- Excerpt:"Jobs in the private sector are the backbone of our economy. Our government must maintain an economic and regulatory climate where businesses large and small are allowed to thrive."
- Excerpt:"Paul firmly believes that what is best for the students should be our first priority and that local control is an important ingredient for success."
- Excerpt:"He understands that it is the strong ag economy that has been critical in supporting our state's economy in the economic downturn. Agriculture is especially important to rural Minnesota and Paul is actively engaged in a variety of issues and doing his best to support producers large and small."
- Excerpt:"Paul has consistently supported the pro-life agenda by cosponsoring and voting for legislation that would strengthen protection of the unborn."
- Excerpt:"Proving with a photo ID at the polling place that you are who you say you are and that you live where you say live is the best way to protect the integrity of our election system."
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Torkelson served on the following committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Environment, Natural Resources and Agriculture Finance|
|• Rules and Legislative Administration|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Torkelson served on these committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Agriculture and Rural Development|
|• Environment, Energy and Natural Resources Policy and Finance, Vice-chair|
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Torkelson served on these committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2009|
|• Health Care and Human Services Policy and Oversight|
Torkelson won re-election in the 2012 election for Minnesota House of Representatives District 16B. He was unopposed in the Republican primary on August 14 and defeated James Kanne (D) and Pike Pagel (I) in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 16B, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Paul Torkelson Incumbent||56.2%||11,243|
|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 21B (2010)|
|Paul Torkelson (DFL)||11,774||98.31%|
Paul Torkelson raised $33,638 for his campaign.
|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 21B (2008)|
|Paul Torkelson (R)||9,111||51.43%|
|Robert Skillings (DFL)||8,586||48.47%|
Campaign donor information is not yet available for this year.
In 2010, Torkelson received $15,600 in campaign donations. The largest donors are listed below.
|Minnesota House of Representatives 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Paul Torkelson's campaign in 2010|
|Brown County RPM||$2,500|
|Minnesota Telecommunication Alliance||$500|
|Redwood County RPM||$500|
|Minnesota Corn Growers Association||$500|
|Arsers, Samuel C||$350|
|Total Raised in 2010||$15,600|
Listed below are the three largest contributors to Paul Torkelson's 2008 campaign.
|Brown County Republican Party||$2,500|
|Redwood County Republican Party||$1,750|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Paul + Torkelson + Minnesota + Legislature
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- What's cut, kept in divisive Legacy bill - Minnesota Public Radio
- 2013 Legislative Session Recap - KNUJ
- Legislature: Budget funding elderly, disabled heads to governor - Bemidji Pioneer
- Reclaiming Lake Redwood - Redwood Falls Gazette
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
- Paul Torkelson's personal website
- Minnesota House of Representatives - Rep. Torkelson
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008
- Paul Torkelson on Facebook
- ↑ Project Vote Smart - Rep. Torkelson
- ↑ "paultorkelson," Official Campaign Website
- ↑ Minnesota Secretary of State "2012 State General Election Candidate Filings," Accessed June 18, 2012
- ↑ Minnesota Secretary of State – 2010 General Election Results
- ↑ 2008 General Election Results
- ↑ Follow the Money's report on Torkelson's 2008 campaign contributions
- ↑ Follow the Money - 2010 Campaign contributions
Mary Kiffmeyer (R)
|Minnesota State House District 16B
| Succeeded by|
|Minnesota State House District 21B
| Succeeded by|
Steve Drazkowski (R)
State of Minnesota
St. Paul (capital)
Minnesota State Constitution | House of Representatives | Senate | County Attorney | House Research Department | Legislative Reference Library | Senate Counsel Research and Fiscal Analysis | Legislative Auditor |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Commissioner of Management and Budget | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor and Industry | Chair of Public Utilities |
Data Practices Act | Transparency Checklist | Government corruption reports | Transparency Legislation | Open Records procedures | Transparency Advocates | Transparency blogs | State budget | Taxpayer-funded lobbying associations |