|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 16B|
|2009 - present|
|January 6, 2015|
|Years in position||5|
|Assistant Minority Leader, Minnesota House of Representatives|
|2013 - present|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 4, 2008|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||Gustavus Adolphus College|
- 1 Biography
- 2 Committee assignments
- 3 Issues
- 4 Elections
- 5 Campaign donors
- 6 Scorecards
- 7 Personal
- 8 Recent news
- 9 External links
- 10 References
Torkelson is a farmer.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Torkelson served on the following committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Environment, Natural Resources and Agriculture Finance|
|• Rules and Legislative Administration|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Torkelson served on the following committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Agriculture and Rural Development|
|• Environment, Energy and Natural Resources Policy and Finance, Vice-chair|
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Torkelson served on the following committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2009|
|• Health Care and Human Services Policy and Oversight|
Torkelson's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Excerpt: "Jobs in the private sector are the backbone of our economy. Our government must maintain an economic and regulatory climate where businesses large and small are allowed to thrive."
- Excerpt: "Paul firmly believes that what is best for the students should be our first priority and that local control is an important ingredient for success."
- Excerpt: "He understands that it is the strong ag economy that has been critical in supporting our state's economy in the economic downturn. Agriculture is especially important to rural Minnesota and Paul is actively engaged in a variety of issues and doing his best to support producers large and small."
- Excerpt: "Paul has consistently supported the pro-life agenda by cosponsoring and voting for legislation that would strengthen protection of the unborn."
- Excerpt: "Proving with a photo ID at the polling place that you are who you say you are and that you live where you say live is the best way to protect the integrity of our election system."
Elections for the office of Minnesota House of Representatives will consist of a primary election on August 12, 2014, and a general election on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 3, 2014. James Kanne is unopposed in the Democratic primary. Incumbent Paul Torkelson is unopposed in the Republican primary.
Torkelson won re-election in the 2012 election for Minnesota House of Representatives District 16B. He was unopposed in the Republican primary on August 14 and defeated James Kanne (D) and Pike Pagel (I) in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 16B, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Paul Torkelson Incumbent||56.2%||11,243|
|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 21B (2010)|
|Paul Torkelson (DFL)||11,774||98.31%|
Torkelson raised $33,638 for his campaign.
|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 21B (2008)|
|Paul Torkelson (R)||9,111||51.43%|
|Robert Skillings (DFL)||8,586||48.47%|
Comprehensive donor information for Torkelson is available dating back to 2008. Based on available campaign finance records, Torkelson raised a total of $85,196 during that time period. This information was last updated on July 11, 2013.
|Paul Torkelson's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Minnesota State House, District 16B||$35,958|
|2010||Minnesota State House, District 21B||$15,600|
|2008||Minnesota State House, District 21B||$33,638|
|Grand Total Raised||$85,196|
2012Torkelson won re-election to the Minnesota House of Representatives in 2012. During that election cycle, Torkelson raised a total of $35,958.
|Minnesota House of Representatives 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Paul Torkelson's campaign in 2012|
|Brown County RPM||$2,000|
|Redwood County RPM||$750|
|Doug Magnus House Dist. 22A||$500|
|Minnesota Green Industry PAC||$500|
|Total Raised in 2012||$35,958|
|Source:Follow the Money|
2010Torkelson won re-election to the Minnesota House of Representatives in 2010. During that election cycle, Torkelson raised a total of $15,600.
|Minnesota House of Representatives 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Paul Torkelson's campaign in 2010|
|Brown County RPM||$2,500|
|Minnesota Telecommunication Alliance||$500|
|Redwood County RPM||$500|
|Minnesota Corn Growers Association||$500|
|Arsers, Samuel C||$350|
|Total Raised in 2010||$15,600|
|Source:Follow the Money|
2008Torkelson won election to the Minnesota House of Representatives in 2008. During that election cycle, Torkelson raised a total of $33,638.
|Minnesota House of Representatives 2008 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Paul Torkelson's campaign in 2008|
|Brown County Republican Party||$2,500|
|Redwood County Republican Party||$1,750|
|Watonwan County Republica Party||$650|
|Total Raised in 2008||$33,638|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Taxpayers League of Minnesota
The Taxpayers League of Minnesota, a Minnesota-based taxpayer advocacy organization, releases a legislative scorecard for the Minnesota House of Representatives and Minnesota State Senate once a year. The scorecard gives each legislator a score based on how they voted in the prior legislative term on tax issues and “their efforts to balance the state budget without a tax increase.” The organization also compiles a legislator’s individual "Lifetime Score."
Torkelson is married with two children. He has been a member of the Minnesota's Deer Hunters Association, Saint James Lions Club, and Governor Tim Pawlenty's Clean Water Council.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Paul + Torkelson + Minnesota + Legislature
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Office website
- Torkelson's website
- Profile from Open States
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008
- Campaign Facebook page
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Torkelson
- "paultorkelson," Official Campaign Website
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "2014 State General Election Candidate Filings," accessed July 25, 2014
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "2012 State General Election Candidate Filings," accessed June 18, 2012
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "2010 Election Results," accessed March 9, 2014
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "All Races by Legislative District," accessed April 23, 2014
- Follow the Money's report on Torkelson's 2008 campaign contributions
- Follow the Money, "Torkelson, Paul." Retrieved July 11, 2013
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecards," accessed May 15, 2014
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecard, 2013," accessed May 15, 2014
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecard, 2012," accessed May 15, 2014
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecard, 2011," accessed May 15, 2014
Mary Kiffmeyer (R)
|Minnesota State House District 16B
| Succeeded by|
|Minnesota State House District 21B
| Succeeded by|
Steve Drazkowski (R)
State of Minnesota
St. Paul (capital)
Minnesota State Constitution | House of Representatives | Senate | County Attorney | House Research Department | Legislative Reference Library | Senate Counsel Research and Fiscal Analysis | Legislative Auditor |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Commissioner of Management and Budget | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor and Industry | Chair of Public Utilities |