|Attorney General of Wyoming|
|July 22, 2013 - present|
|Years in position||2|
|Predecessor||Gregory Alan Phillips (D)|
|Elections and appointments|
|Appointed||July 22, 2013|
|Appointed by||Governor Matt Mead (R)|
|Chief Deputy Attorney General of Wyoming|
|Bachelor's||Yale University, American History (1978)|
|J.D.||University of Wyoming (1985)|
|Place of birth||Media, Pennsylvania|
- 1 Biography
- 2 Political career
- 3 Elections & Appointments
- 4 Recent news
- 5 Personal
- 6 Contact Information
- 7 See also
- 8 External links
- 9 References
After graduating from Yale in 1978, Michael moved to Wyoming to begin construction work at Darwin Ranch. He has also been a hotel cook, professional flytier, and guided fly fisherman. Michael entered law school at the University of Wyoming in 1982 and was editor of the Land and Water Law Review. He graduated with honors in 1985.
Peter Michael clerked for Justice G Joseph Cardine at the Wyoming Supreme Court before entering a private law practice at Lathrop & Uchner. Michael worked in private law until 2006 when he joined the attorney general's office.
- Bachelor's degree, Yale University, American History (1978)
- Juris Doctorate degree, University of Wyoming Law School (1985)
Wyoming Attorney General (September 2013 - Present)
Governor Matt Mead officially named Michael to the position on September 5, 2013 after he had been serving as interim attorney general since July 22, 2013. Mead said in a speech at the announcement that “Pete is an outstanding attorney, an outstanding individual and it has been a pleasure to work with him over the last two and a half years. I am pleased to have him as Wyoming’s next Attorney General.”
Wyoming Interim Attorney General (July 2013 - September 2013)
Governor Matt Mead named Michael to the position on July 22, 2013. Michael had been originally been appointed to serve as chief deputy attorney general under predecessor Gregory Alan Phillips, who left office in order to become a circuit court judge for the United States Court of Appeals on July 8, 2013.
Michael represented Wyoming in the United States Supreme Court in the case of Montana v. Wyoming filed in 2007.
Elections & Appointments
Michael was appointed to serve as interim Attorney General of Wyoming by Governor Matt Mead on July 22, 2013, and as official Attorney General on September 5, 2013 to fill the seat left vacant by former officeholder Gregory Alan Phillips (D). Before stepping down, Phillips had appointed Michael as chief deputy attorney general.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Peter + Michael + Wyoming + Attorney + General"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Michael lives with his wife of 26 years, Lucinda Schmid, in a century old house near the state capitol. He has two sons, Philip and Kenneth. Michael enjoys gardening and working on his house, including installing a solar powered system to provide hot water and electricity.
123 State Capitol
Cheyenne, Wyoming 82002
Phone: (307) 777-7841
- Attorney General of Wyoming
- Governor of Wyoming
- Lieutenant Governor of Wyoming
- Wyoming Secretary of State
- County 10, Governor appoints Interim Attorney General: Peter Michael to serve, July 24, 2013
- Governor appoints Peter Michael as Attorney General, September 5, 2013
- Wyoming Law School, Peter Michael, accessed July 24, 2013
- Star Tribune, "Obama nominates Wyoming attorney general for federal appeals court," January 31, 2013
- Casper Star Tribune, "U.S. Senate unanimously approves Wyoming Attorney General Greg Phillips for judgeship," July 8, 2013
- Wyoming State Library, "Wyoming Attorney General's Office - FY 2012 Annual Report," June 30, 2012
Gregory Alan Phillips (D)
|Wyoming Attorney General
2013 – present
| Succeeded by|
|Wyoming House of Representatives District 15
1992 – 1998
| Succeeded by|