|Governor of Mississippi|
|January 10, 2012 - Present|
|Years in position||1|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 8, 2011|
|First elected||November 8, 2011|
|Term limits||2 terms|
|Lieutenant Governor of Mississippi|
|January 10, 2008 - January 9, 2012|
|State Auditor of Mississippi|
|1996 - 2007|
|Bachelor's||University of Southern Mississippi|
|Associate's||Hinds Community College|
|Birthday||December 9, 1954|
|Place of birth||Moorhead, Mississippi|
Bryant, a Moorhead native, is the son of a diesel mechanic and a mother who stayed at home to raise her three children.
He is an adjunct professor of government at Mississippi College, and is the contributing author of three books: 21st Century Government - Digital Promise, Digital Reality, Best Cases Practices, which highlights innovations of other Republican lieutenant governors, and Leadership Secrets of Government Financial Offices. 
- B.A. in criminal justice, University of Southern Mississippi
- M.A. in political science, Mississippi College
Governor of Mississippi (2012 - Present)
Bryant (R) took a defiant stand against new federal executive order gun regulations before they were signed in January 2013, saying any such order “infringes our constitutional right to keep and bear arms” and is unconstitutional. Bryant asked the Mississippi Legislature to “immediately pass legislation that would make any unconstitutional order by the President illegal to enforce in Mississippi by state or local law enforcement.”
Lieutenant Governor of Mississippi (2008 - 2011)
Mississippi State Auditor (1996 - 2007)
Bryant previously served as State Auditor, having been appointed to the position in November 1996 by former Governor Kirk Fordice. He was re-elected in 1999 and again in 2003, when he ran unopposed.
Mississippi House of Representatives (1990 - 1995)
Prior to becoming State Auditor, Bryant served five years as a member of the Mississippi House of Representatives, where he was the Vice Chairman of the Insurance Committee and authored the Capital Gains Tax Cut Act of 1992.
Bryant defeated Hattiesburg mayor Johnny DuPree in the general election on November 8, 2011.
|Governor of Mississippi, 2011|
|Gubernatorial Republican Primary election|
|Republican Party||James Broadwater||1.2%|
|Republican Party||Phil Bryant||59.5%|
|Republican Party||Dave Dennis||25.7%|
|Republican Party||Hudson Holliday||4.7%|
|Republican Party||Ron Williams||8.8%|
Ballotpedia collects information on campaign donors for each year in which a candidate or incumbent is running for election. The following table offers a breakdown of Phil Bryant's donors each year. Click [show] for more information.
|Phil Bryant's Campaign Contributions|
Governor of Mississippi
|Total Raised by General Election Opponent|
|Top 5 contributors||Republican Governors Association||$575,000|
|RGA Mississippi PAC||$127,786|
|Hensley R Lee||$105,000|
|Mississippi Health Care Association||$76,000|
|James L Barksdale||$57,500|
Bryant and his wife, Deborah, have two children and are active members of St. Marks United Methodist Church.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Phil + Bryant + Mississippi + Governor"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Gov. Phil Bryant Enacts Major Energy Efficiency Legislation - WJTV
- AP analysis: Gov. Phil Bryant gets off script in Medicaid expansion debate - Mississippi Press (blog)
- Gov. Bryant says he could run Medicaid program - Jackson Clarion Ledger
- Gov. Phil Bryant special session for Friday to address economic development ... - Mississippi Press (blog)
- Governor Bryant speaks at USM graduation - WLOX
- Governor Phil Bryant Signs Legislation Reducing Severance Tax on Horizontally ... - Yall Politics
- Gov. Bryant makes major announcement - WTVA
- Phil Bryant says special session coming for auto corridor project - Mississippi Press (blog)
- Gov Phil Bryant, LG Tate Reeves and Speaker Philip Gunn comment on special ... - Yall Politics
- GOVERNOR PHIL BRYANT, GE AVIATION OFFICIALS CELEBRATE OPENING ... - Avionics Intelligence
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
Haley Barbour (R)
|Governor of Mississippi
2012 - present
| Succeeded by|
State of Mississippi
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture and Commerce | Executive Director of Environmental Quality | Executive Director of Employment Security | Chairman of Public Service Commission |
Public Records Act | Transparency Checklist | Government corruption reports | Transparency Legislation | Open Records procedures | Transparency Advocates | Transparency blogs | State budget | Taxpayer-funded lobbying associations |