|Michigan House of Representatives, District 49|
|November 7, 2013 - present|
|January 1, 2015|
|Years in position||1|
|Per diem||$10,800 yearly expense allowance|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 5, 2013|
|First elected||November 5, 2013|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Term limits||3 terms (6 years)|
Phelps' website highlights the following campaign themes:
Jobs and the Economy
- Excerpt: "Michigan’s economy took a big hit when the auto industry began shutting down automotive factories. However, Michiganders are resilient. We will rebuild Michigan's economy by investing in small businesses, technology, clean energy, and science and math education."
- Excerpt: "Our legislature should work to end discrimination whether it is based on gender, race, age, sexual orientation or any other reason. I want to work to help the LGBT community gain the same rights as all members of our community,fight to reduce income disparities based on race, and fight for equal wages for women."
- Excerpt: "The Michigan legislature in recent years has taken women's healthcare choices away from them. Women should be able to make planned decisions about starting a family. Decisions about women's healthcare and their bodies should be made by women."
- Excerpt: "Government transparency is truly important. We pay our taxes and vote for legislators to represent our interests, so we deserve to know how they spend our public dollars. Information and communication should be readily available to the citizens for government to truly serve its citizens. Citizens need all the relevant information to hold their elected leaders accountable."
- Excerpt: "Our senior citizens have worked for years to save money and plan for their retirement. Now that their working years are over, the legislature has forced changes to those planned retirements. By taxing their pensions our government is taking more than money, they're taking security away from a population who is least able to protect themselves."
Elections for the office of Michigan House of Representatives will consist of a primary election on August 5, 2014, and a general election on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was April 22, 2014. Incumbent Phil Phelps is challenged by Kyle Cawood in the Democratic primary. Lu Penton is unopposed in the Republican primary.
Phelps won election in a special election for Michigan House of Representatives District 49. The seat was vacant following Jim Ananich's (D) election to the Michigan State Senate on May 7. Phelps defeated five others in the August 6 Democratic primary and defeated Don Pfeiffer (R) and Pat Clawson (L) in the special election, which took place on November 5.
|Michigan House of Representatives, District 49, Special Election, 2013|
In 2014, Phelps' endorsements include the following:
- Former Lt. Governor John Cherry
- Former Democratic House Leader Rick Hammel
- State Representative Pam Faris
- State Representative Terry Brown
- Former State Representative Jack Minore
- Former State Representative Nate Jonker
- Flushing Twp. Treasurer Maryion Lee
- Councilperson Ellen Ellenburg City of Burton
- UAW Region 1-C
- AFT Local 6244 of the AFL-CIO
- Genesee County Progressive Caucus
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Phil + Phelps + Michigan + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Michigan State Legislature
- Michigan House of Representatives
- House Committees
- Michigan state legislative districts
- Profile from the Michigan House of Representatives
- Official campaign website
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Profile from Open States
- Profile from Vote-USA
- Phil Phelps on Facebook
- MLive, "Phil Phelps sworn in as 49th District state representative for Genesee County," November 7, 2013. Retrieved November 8, 2013
- philphelps.com, "Working For You," accessed July 30, 2014
- Michigan Secretary of State, "2014 Official Michigan Primary Candidate Listing," accessed May 27, 2014
- freep.com, "Snyder calls special election for state House seat," May 15, 2013
- mlive.com, "Six Democrats, two Republicans face off in 49th District state House primary election," June 4, 2013
- mlive.com, "Phil Phelps wins Democratic primary for 49th District state House seat," August 6, 2013
- mlive.com, "Don Pfeiffer wins Republican primary for 49th District state House seat," August 6, 2013
- mlive.com, "Libertarian candidate Pat Clawson joins race for 49th District state House seat," August 7, 2013
- co.genesee.mi.us, "Unofficial election results," November 5, 2013
- miboecfr.nictusa.com, "Official Democratic primary results," accessed November 19, 2013
- miboecfr.nictusa.com, "Official special election results," accessed November 19, 2013
- philphelps.com, "Endorsements," accessed July 30, 2014
State of Michigan
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor General | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Director of Agriculture and Rural Development | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor and Economic Growth | Chairman of Public Service Commission |
Michigan Supreme Court | Supreme Court Elections | Court of Appeals | First Circuit Court of Appeals | Second Circuit Court of Appeals | Third Circuit Court of Appeals | Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals | List of Michigan Circuit Courts | Judicial Nominating Commission | Judicial news | Judicial activist organizations |