Port Townsend Fire Service Levy Increase (November 2011)
This measure was approved
- YES 2,086 (50.08%)
- NO 2,079 (49.92%)
This measure took the place of a previously proposed measure for annexation into the Jefferson county fie district. The city decided to raise the current fire and emergency services levy by a rate of $.43 per $1,000 of assessed property value until the city is annexed into the other fire district area. City officials decided to raise the tax rate before annexation because the proposed annexation would have implemented a higher tax for residents. This levy will go towards services which are not covered by the city's general fund.
This tax increase will make it so that residents in the city of Port Townsend will be paying the same rate as those residents living in the unincorporated areas of the county. A similar measure was defeated in August 2010, the proposed levy was larger. City officials were hoping this would be approved, without the increase they would have needed to find other ways to fund the fire protection services currently being offered.
Text of measure
The question on the ballot:
|City of Port Townsend Proposition No. 1 Fire and Emergency Services Levy Lid Lift The City Council of the City of Port Townsend has adopted Ordinance 3060A, concerning the City's regular property tax levy. If approved, Proposition  would authorize a maximum levy rate for collection in 2012 of $2.4868 per $1,000 assessed value which is an increase of approximately $0.43/$1,000. The increase is restricted to providing for fire protection, prevention and emergency services by contract with East Jefferson Fire Rescue, to match the EJFR's residents' contribution. Increases (plus all previously voterapproved increases) will be used in future levy limit calculations, except that this increase expires if the City annexes into EJFR.|
- Jefferson County Elections, Current Election Results
- Peninsula Daily News, "Port Townsend council switches course, decides to seek property tax increase," July 11, 2011
- Peninsula Daily News, "Port Townsend council places fire services property tax hike on November ballot," August 2, 2011
- Jefferson county Elections, Notice of Elections (dead link)
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.