Primary election dates in 2010
|State executive officials|
|2012 • 2011 • 2010|
|Find your state|
Note: The signature-filing deadline is the date by which candidates must file nominating signatures with election officials in order to have their name placed on the ballot.
|State||Nominating Signature Deadline||Primary||Primary runoff|
|Alabama||April 2||June 1||July 13|
|Alaska||June 1||August 24||N/A|
|Arizona||May 26||August 24||N/A|
|Arkansas||March 8||May 18||June 8|
|California !||February 25||June 8||N/A|
|Colorado||May 27||August 10||N/A|
|Connecticut||June 8 for Major Parties August 4, others||August 10||N/A|
|Delaware ‡||May nominating conventions () July 13 () !!||September 14||N/A|
|Florida||April 30 for federal candidates (), June 18th all others.||August 24||N/A|
|Georgia||June 21||July 20||August 10|
|Hawaii||July 20||September 18||N/A|
|Idaho||March 19||May 25||N/A|
|Illinois||November 2, 2009-Party Candidates , June 21st-Independents||February 2||N/A|
|Indiana + ++ +++||February 19th-GOP and Democrats (), June 30th-Independents/other candidates||May 4||N/A|
|Iowa||March 19||June 8||N/A|
|Kansas||June 10-Partisan Candidates (), August 2-Independents||August 3||N/A|
|Kentucky||January 26||May 18||N/A|
|Louisiana||July 9th !!!||August 28||October 28-Party Candidates|
|Maine||March 15 at 5 PM-ET for Party Candidates (), Others June 1 ()||June 8||N/A|
|Maryland||July 6||September 14||N/A|
|Massachusetts||May 4-Partisan , August 3-Independents||September 14||N/A|
|Michigan||May 11||August 3||N/A|
|Minnesota||June 1st by 5:00 PM-CDT!!||August 10||N/A|
|Mississippi||March 1-Federal Candidates (), April 12-State Candidates ()||June 1||June 22|
|Missouri||March 30||August 3||N/A|
|Montana||March 15||June 8||N/A|
|Nebraska||February 15||May 11||N/A|
|Nevada||January 15-Judicial Candidates (), March 12-Non Judicial ()||June 8||N/A|
|New Hampshire||June 11||September 14||N/A|
|New Jersey||April 5||June 8||N/A|
|New Mexico||February 9-Statewide () and US Congress, March 16-All other candidates ()||June 1||N/A|
|New York||July 15 (party candidates) , July 22 (no party endorsement) , August 17 (Independents).||September 14||N/A|
|North Carolina||February 26||May 4||June 22|
|North Dakota||March 8||June 8||N/A|
|Ohio||February 18-Partisan (), May 3, Independents ()||May 4||N/A|
|Oklahoma||June 9||July 27||August 24|
|Oregon||March 9-Partisan (), August 24-Independents||May 18||N/A|
|Pennsylvania||March 9||May 18||N/A|
|Rhode Island||May 28||September 14||N/A|
|South Carolina||March 30||June 8||June 22|
|South Dakota||March 30||June 8||June 29|
|Tennessee||April 1||August 5||N/A|
|Texas||January 4||March 2||April 13|
|Utah||March 19||June 22||N/A|
|Vermont||June 17 !!||August 24||N/A|
|Virginia||April 9||June 8||N/A|
|Washington||June 11||August 17||N/A|
|West Virginia||January 30||May 11||N/A|
|Wisconsin||July 13||September 14||N/A|
|Wyoming||May 28th-Partisan Candidates (), August 23 - Independents||August 17||N/A|
‡ Denotes states using a nominating convention to choose candidates.
+ The February 19th Deadline in Indiana is for US Congress, US Senate, and State House of Representatives. Indiana Law mandates that all statewide officers regardless of party are nominated via a statewide convention. All Libertarian Party candidates are nominated by a statewide convention with the deadline set for July 15th, 2010 .
++ All Democrat and Republican contenders for US House of Representatives, State Senate, and State House of Representatives are not required to file nominating petitions.
+++ The January 19th signature deadline is the final statewide certification deadline for U.S. Senate candidates. All US Senate candidates must have their petitions certified by the county election offices by 12:00 PM-EDT by January 16, 2010  .
! In lieu of a filing fee mandated by California law.
!!!-Changed on an act of the state legislature in 2009-2010 .
- ↑ Massachusetts Elections 2010 Election Calendar(See deadline to submit nomination papers to registrars)
- ↑ New Mexico Secretary of State "2010 Filing Day"(See 2010 Important Dates)
- ↑ New Mexico Secretary of State "2010 Filing Day"
- ↑ New York State Board of Elections "2010 Political Calendar"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 FindLaw "Indiana Code"(Referenced Statute 3-8-7-8, Indiana Code)
- ↑ Indiana Secretary of State "2010 Candidates Manual"(See Pages 18, 23, 29, and 37)
- ↑ Indiana Secretary of State "2010 Candidates Manual"(See Pages 22 and 36)
- ↑ FindLaw "Indiana Code"(Referenced Statute 3-8-2-10)
- ↑ FindLaw "Indiana Code"(Referenced Statute 3-8-2-8)
- ↑ Indiana Secretary of State "2010 Candidates Manual"(See Pages 17)
- ↑ California Secretary of State "2010 Election Calendar"(See Signatures in Lieu of Filing Fee)
- ↑ La Crosse Tribune "New federal law could force primary date change", May 11, 2010 via phone
- ↑ [Verified with Vermont Elections Division on July 26, 2010]
- ↑ [Verified with Delaware Commissioner of Elections on July 26, 2010 via phone]
- ↑ Louisiana Secretary of State "2010 Election Calendar"