Prince William County Public Schools elections (2013)
Method of election
What was at stake?
Prince William County Public Schools
Prince William County, Virginia ballot measures
Local ballot measures, Virginia
One seat was up for election on the Prince William County Public School Board on November 5, 2013. This was a special election to fill the vacated seat of former member Denita Ramirez, who resigned in November 2012. Steven Keen was serving as interim, but lost to challenger Loree Williams in the election. She will fill the seat which expires in 2015.
About the districtPrince William County, Virginia. The county seat of Prince William County is Manassas. Prince William County is home to 438,580 residents, according to the United States Census Bureau. In the 2011-2012 school year, Prince William County Public Schools was the second-largest school district in Virginia and served 81,937 students.
Prince William County outperformed the rest of Virginia in terms of higher education achievement in 2013. The United States Census Bureau found that 38.1 percent of Prince William County residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 35.2 percent for Virginia as a whole. The median household income in Prince William County was $98,071 compared to $63,907 for the state of Virginia. The poverty rate in Prince William County was 6.3 percent compared to 11.3 percent for the entire state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one or two tenths off from being exactly 100 percent.
Method of board member selection
The Prince William County School Board is comprised of eight members, one from each magisterial district and an at-large member who serves as chairman. They serve four year terms which are not staggered. One seat was up for election on November 5, 2013 to fill an unexpired term, and all eight seats will be on the ballot on November 3, 2015.
|Prince William County Public Schools, Woodbridge District Special Election, 2-year term, 2013|
|Independent||Steven Keen Incumbent||38.4%||3,476|
|Source: Prince William County, Virginia, "November 2013 General Election Official Results," accessed December 12, 2013|
No endorsements were made in this election.
Information about earlier elections can be found by clicking [show] at the right.
What was at stake?
One seat was up for election on the Prince William County Public School Board on November 5, 2013. This was a special election to fill the vacated seat of former member Denita Ramirez, who resigned in November 2012.
The following dates were key deadlines for the Prince William County Public School Board election in 2013:
|June 11, 2013||Last day to file nominating petitions|
|October 15, 2013||Last day to register to vote|
|November 5, 2013||Election day|
Additional elections on the ballot
This election shared the ballot with other municipal and school board elections, as well as the statewide offices for governor, lieutenant governor and attorney general.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Prince + William + County + Public + Schools + Virginia"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- School board elections review: Voters opt for experience over new blood in nation's largest school districts
- School board election wrap-up: Incumbents re-elected overwhelmingly in November 5 elections
- Prince William County Public Schools
- List of school board elections in 2013
- Prince William County, Virginia ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, Virginia
- United States Census Bureau, "Prince William County, Virginia," accessed January 27, 2015
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed April 22, 2014
- Virginia Department of Elections, "Election Results," accessed September 17, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- School Board Members & Information Accessed September 23, 2013
- Virginia State Board of Elections, "Campaign Finance Reports, Steven Keen," accessed December 18, 2013
- Virginia State Board of Elections, "Campaign Finance Reports, Loree Williams," accessed December 18, 2013
- Virginia State Board of Elections November 5, 2013 Elections Candidacy Requirements For Local Offices, accessed August 8, 2013