R. Blake Curd
|R. Blake Curd|
|South Dakota State Senate District 12|
|June 10, 2013-Present|
|January 9, 2017|
|Years in position||2|
|Base salary||$6,000/session; $129/day for interim committees|
|Per diem||$110/legislative day|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|Term limits||Four terms|
|South Dakota House District 12|
Curd served in the South Dakota House of Representatives, representing District 12 from 2009 until 2011.
Curd is a Hand/Microvascular/Orthopedic Surgeon.
2015 legislative session
At the beginning of the 2015 legislative session, Curd served on the following committees:
|South Dakota Committee Assignments, 2015|
|• Commerce and Energy, Chair|
|• Health and Human Services|
Prior to leaving the South Dakota House of Representatives, Curd served on the following committees:
|South Dakota Committee Assignments, 2009|
|• Health and Human Services|
|• Local Government|
|• Stimulus Plan|
The general elections for the office of South Dakota State Senate took place on November 4, 2014. A primary election took place on June 3, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 25, 2014. Jim Sanden was unopposed in the Democratic primary. Incumbent R. Blake Curd was unopposed in the Republican primary. Curd defeated Sanden in the general election.
|South Dakota State Senate, District 12, General Election, 2014|
|Republican||R. Blake Curd Incumbent||60.1%||4,265|
|Source: South Dakota Secretary of State|
Curd did not seek re-election, although he was eligible to do so under South Dakota's term limits. He instead ran for the United States House of Representatives, but lost in the primary.
Comprehensive donor information for R. Blake Curd is available dating back to 2008. Based on available campaign finance records, R. Blake Curd raised a total of $40,065 during that time period. This information was last updated on September 26, 2013.
|R. Blake Curd's Campaign Contribution History|
|2008||South Dakota House of Representatives, District 12||$40,065|
|Grand Total Raised||$40,065|
In 2008, Curd collected $40,065 in donations.
His five largest contributors in 2008 were:
|R. Blake Curd||$2,000|
|Paul and Shirley Cink||$2,000|
|South Dakota Republican Party||$1,138|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
In 2014, the 89th South Dakota State Legislature was in session from January 14 to March 31.
- South Dakota Right to Life: 2013-2014 Pro-life Legislative Ratings
- Legislators are scored based on their votes relating to the issue of abortions.===2013===
In 2013, the 88th South Dakota State Legislature was in session from January 8 to March 25.
- South Dakota Freedom Coalition: South Dakota Freedom Index 2013
- Legislators are scored based on their votes on the "top ten" issues affecting your freedom.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Blake + Curd + South + Dakota + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- South Dakota State Legislature
- South Dakota State Senate
- South Dakota Senate Committees
- South Dakota Joint Committees
- South Dakota State Senate District 12
- South Dakota House of Representatives - Rep. R. Blake Curd
- Profile from Open States
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008
- South Dakota State News, "Sen. Mark Johnston To Resign - Gov. Daugaard Invites Public Input On Replacement," May 2, 2013
- The Associated Press, "Governor appoints Curd to vacant SD Senate seat," June 5, 2013
- South Dakota Secretary of State, "Primary Election - Official Results," accessed June 4, 2014
- South Dakota Secretary of State, "Official General Election Results - November 4, 2014," accessed November 12, 2014
- South Dakota Secretary of State, "Current Candidates for Primary Election," accessed May 2, 2014
- followthemoney.org, "Curd, R Blake," accessed September 26, 2013
- Follow the Money, "2008 contributions to R. Blake Curd," accessed March 11, 2014
Mark Johnston (R)
|South Dakota State Senate District 12
| Succeeded by|
|South Dakota House of Representatives District 12
| Succeeded by|
Hal Wick (R), Manford Steele (R)