|Florida House of Representatives District 56|
|November 2008 - November 16, 2012|
|Per diem||$133/per day|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 4, 2008|
|Term limits||4 terms (8 years)|
|Bachelor's||Moody Bible Institute (2010)|
|Birthday||July 23, 1982|
|Place of birth||Florida|
Burgin served as a legislative aide from 2006-2008.
She is a member of the Greater Brandon Chamber of Commerce, Greater Riverview Chamber of Commerce, Greater Tampa Chamber of Commerce, Hillsborough County Republican Executive Committee, Plant City Federated Republican Women's Club, and a volunteer with Plant City Pregnancy Care Center.
Burgin did not provide answers to the Florida State Legislative Election 2008 Political Courage Test. The test informs voters how a candidate would vote on the issues if elected.
Burgin's sponsored legislation includes:
- HB 233 - "Internet Safety Education Programs in Public Libraries: Encourages public libraries to implement Internet safety education program for children & adults"
- HB 983 - "Abortion: Requires that ultrasound be performed on any woman obtaining abortion; specifies who must perform ultrasound; requires that ultrasound be reviewed with patient prior to woman giving informed consent"
- HB 1177 - "Operation of the Florida Lottery: Revises provisions to conform to possible operation of lottery with assistance of manager under management agreement"
For details and a full listing of sponsored bills, see the House site.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Burgin served on these committees:
- Rules & Calendar
- State Affairs
- Subcommittee on Agriculture and Natural Resources, Vice Chair
- Subcommittee on Insurance and Banking
- Subcommittee on K-20 Competitiveness
- Subcommittee on Transportation and Economic Development Appropriations
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Burgin served on these committees:
- Agriculture & Natural Resources Policy Committee
- Elder & Family Services Policy Committee
- PreK-12 Policy Committee
- State Universities & Private Colleges Appropriations Committee
- See also: Florida State Senate elections, 2012
|Florida State Senate, District 24 Republican Primary, 2012|
|Rachel V. Burgin||40.7%||10,308|
Two Carrollwood residents filed an ethics complaint on August 8, 2012 alleging Tom Lee omitted assets from his personal financial disclosure form. Lee said the complaint is wrong, insisting he reported all his assets properly on the form and that the complaint looks like "retaliation" against him by supporters of his opponent. In July 2012 a Valrico lawyer accused Lee's competitor, Burgin, of directing donations to a political committee responsible for an attack mailer aimed at Lee. Burgin denied the allegations.
| Florida House of Representatives, District 56 |
2010 General election results
|Rachel Burgin (R)||30,129||62.16%|
|David Chalela (D)||18,333||37.83%|
|Lewis Laricchia (Write-in)||5||0.01%|
Burgin defeated Marc Johnson in the August 24 primary.
|Florida House of Representatives, District 33 - Republican Primary (2010)|
On November 4, 2008, Burgin won election to the Florida House of Representatives from Florida's 56th District, defeating Lewis Laricchia (D). Burgin received 43,433 votes in the election while Laricchia received 32,860 votes. Burgin raised $162,481 for her campaign; Laricchia raised $2,345.
|Florida House of Representatives, District 56|
|Rachel Burgin (R)||43,433||56.9%|
|Lewis Laricchia (D)||32,860||43.1%|
In 2010, Burgin raised $199,126 in contributions.
Her five largest contributors were:
|Florida Chamber Of Commerce||$4,000|
|Hospital Corp Of America||$2,000|
|Southern Gardens Citrus Holding Corp||$2,000|
|Florida Association Of Realtors||$2,000|
Below are Burgin's top 5 campaign contributors in the 2008 election:
|FL Republican Party||$20,150|
|FL Chamber of Commerce||$2,000|
|FL Institute of CPAs||$1,500|
|FL Healthcare Assoc||$1,500|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Rachel + Burgin + Florida + Legislature
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Rachel Burgin's House site
- Florida House of Representatives - Rep. Rachel Burgin
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008
- Rachel Burgin on Facebook
- Rachel Burgin on Twitter
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Burgin Biography
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Burgin Issue Positions
- Florida Elections Division, "Candidate List," accessed June 14, 2012
- Tampa Bay Online, "2 residents file ethics complaint against senate candidate Tom Lee" accessed August 8, 2012 (dead link)
- Tampa Bay Times, "In nasty east Hillsborough race, now both Lee and Burgin face ethics complaints" accessed August 8, 2012
- Florida Election Watch - 2010 Election results
- Florida Election Watch, "August 24, 2010, State Representative primary results," August 24, 2010
- Florida Department of Elections, "Florida House Official Election Results," November 4, 2008
- District 56 Florida House candidate funds, 2008
- Follow the Money, "2010 contributions," accessed December 23, 2013
- Follow the Money, "2008 contributions," accessed November 20, 2014
|Florida House of Representatives District 56
| Succeeded by|
Ben Albritton (R)
State of Florida
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Chief Financial Officer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services | Commissioner of Insurance Regulation | Secretary of Environmental Protection | Director of Economic Opportunity | Chair of Public Service Commission |