|New Mexico Commissioner of Public Lands|
|1994-2002, January 2011 - Present|
|Years in position (current service)||3|
|Years in position (previous service)||8|
|Predecessor||Patrick Lyons (R)|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||University of New Mexico|
|Master's||University of New Mexico|
|Ph.D.||Tufts University (1985)|
A veterinarian by trade, Powell has worked with Dr. Jane Goodall and the Jane Goodall Institute for Wildlife Research Education and Conservation. He served as president and vice-president of the 22-member Western States Land Commissioners Association from 1996-1998 and was State Land Commissioner from 1993-2002. Unable to run for a third consecutive term due to term limits, Powell went on to serve two terms as a member of the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Committee on Foreign Animal and Poultry Diseases before being elected again as Land Commissioner in 2010.
- PhD, Veterinary Medicine, Tufts University, 1985
- MS, Botany/Plant Ecology, University of New Mexico
- B.A., Anthropology/Biology, University of New Mexico
New Mexico Commissioner of Public Lands (1993-2002, 2011-present)
Powell is running for reelection as New Mexico Commissioner of Public Lands in 2014. Powell was uncontested in the primary on June 3, 2014. The general election will take place on November 4, 2014.
Powell's campaign website listed the following themes for the 2014 race:
In just three years we have put the State Land Office back on track and have made significant progress. I have a track record of helping to create thousands of new jobs for New Mexicans, generating more money for our schools, and healing and protecting our state lands. There’s a lot more work to be done, and I’m asking for your support — our vision for what the Land Office can do for New Mexico is well underway.
—Ray Powell's campaign website, (2014), 
Powell won election as New Mexico Commissioner of Public Lands on November 2, 2010.
|Commissioner of Public Lands, 2010|
|Democratic||Ray Bennett Powell||52.4%||308,033|
|Republican||Matthew D. Rush||47.6%||279,664|
|Election Results Via: New Mexico Secretary of State|
Comprehensive donor information for Bennett is available dating back to 2006. Based on available campaign finance records, Bennett raised a total of $391,700 during that time period. This information was last updated on June 12, 2013.
|Ray Powell's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||NM Commissioner of Public Lands||$1,425|
|2010||NM Commissioner of Public Lands||$293,747|
|2006||NM Commissioner of Public Lands||$96,528|
|Grand Total Raised||$391,700|
Bennett won to the position of New Mexico Commissioner of Public Lands in 2010. During that election cycle, Bennett raised a total of $293,747.
|New Mexico Commissioner of Public Lands 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Ray Powell's campaign in 2010|
|Ray & Jean Powell||$27,000|
|FC Covington Manager LLC||$15,000|
|Conservation Voters New Mexico||$11,751|
|Total Raised in 2010||$293,747|
|Source:Follow the Money|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Ray + Powell + New + Mexico + Resources"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- New Mexico State Land Office
- Official campaign website
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Ray Powell on Facebook
- Ray Powell on Twitter
- Campaign contributions: 2012, 2010, 2006
- New Mexico State Land Office, "Ray Powell, Commissioner of Public Lands, M.S., D.V.M.," access to June 11, 2013
- New Mexico Secretary of State, Candidate Portal, Accessed February 4, 2014
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Ray Powell for Land Commissioner, "My Vision," accessed August 6, 2014
- Follow the Money, " Career campaign donations for Ray Bennett Powell," accessed June 12, 2013
Patrick Lyons (R)
|New Mexico Commissioner of Public Lands
| Succeeded by|