Recent changes to laws affecting ballot initiatives
| Initiative law|
Ballot access rulings
Recent court cases
Ballot title challenges
| Laws governing|
local ballot measures
- Lemons v. Bradbury Ninth Circuit upheld Oregon's random sampling procedure for validating signatures.
- Ralph Nader v. Democratic National Committee
- Nader v. McAuliffe
- Nader v. Brewer, overturned Arizona's residency requirement in federal court.
- Yes on Term Limits v. Savage On appeal to 10th circuit, challenges Oklahoma's residency requirement
- Frami v Ponto, threw out Wisconsin's residency requirements
- Preserve Shorecliff Homeowners v. City of San Clemente Threw out a local California residency requirement
- Citizens for Tax Reform v. Deters Threw out Ohio's prohibition on paying petitioners by the signature.
- Prete v. Bradbury Upheld Oregon's prohibition on paying petitioners by the signature.
- Person v. New York State Board of Elections Upheld New York's prohibition on paying petitioners by the signature.
- ACLU v. Lomax Challenges Nevada's distribution requirement.
Petitioner access rights
Proposed and enacted statutes
- Montana Senate Bill 96 (2007)
- Nevada Assembly Bill 604 (2007)
- Nevada Senate Bill 549 (2007)
- Oregon House Bill 2082 (2007).
- South Dakota House Bill 1156 (2007).
- Nebraska Legislative Bill 39 (2008)
- Changes in 2012 to laws governing ballot measures
- Changes in 2011 to laws governing ballot measures
- Changes in 2010 to laws governing ballot measures
- Changes in 2009 to laws governing the initiative process
- Changes in 2008 to laws governing the initiative process
- Changes in 2007 to laws governing the initiative process
- Laws governing the initiative process