The Reference Committee
is a standing committee
of the Ohio State Senate
Per the Senate Rules, committees of the Ohio State Senate are appointed by the President of the Senate. The rules do not give a specific date to which committees are assigned but committee appointments occur after the organization of the Senate. The President shall appoint a chair and vice-chair of each standing committee as well as a ranking minority member. The Minority Leader can recommend minority membership and a ranking minority member for each committee. The President can be substituted as a voting member on any standing committee. The Minority Leader shall be an ex-officio nonvoting member of each committee, and at the Minority Leader's request, the President can substitute for the Minority Leader as a voting member on any committee.
A majority of members in a committee is considered quorum.
See rules: Rules of the Senate
||The Reference Committee refers legislation, including bills, joint resolutions and concurrent resolutions, to the appropriate standing committee. After a bill receives a first reading, which is a reading of the title by the Senate Clerk on the Senate floor, it is sent to the Reference Committee for further action. The Committee then determines which standing committee will receive the legislation for additional scrutiny. Bills, resolutions and appointments that have been favorably recommended by the Senate standing committees are reviewed by this Committee. The Committee then selects which bills, resolutions and appointments will be considered by the full Senate. Although rare, bills can be amended in the Reference Committee. Bills also may be sent directly to the floor for immediate consideration by the full Senate.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Ohio General Assembly, "Rules of the Senate," accessed January 29, 2014(Rule 19)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Ohio General Assembly, "Rules of the Senate," accessed January 29, 2014(Rule 20)
- ↑ Ohio General Assembly, "Rules of the Senate," accessed January 29, 2014(Rule 23)
- ↑ Ohio State Senate, "About the Committee," accessed January 29, 2014
- ↑ Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.