Rhode Island Commissioner of Education
|Rhode Island Commissioner of Education|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2013 FY Budget:||$1,195,035,981|
|Length of term:||Serves at the pleasure of the Board of Regents|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by the state Board of Regents|
|Assumed office:||July 1, 2009|
|Other Rhode Island Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Superintendent of Education • Agriculture Commissioner • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Commissioner • Labor Commissioner • Public Service Commission|
The current officeholder is Deborah Gist. She was first appointed to the position by the Rhode Island Board of Regents, which includes the Governor of Rhode Island, on April 2, 2009 and formally assumed the role of commissioner on July 1, 2009.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches the constitutional or statutory text that authorizes the creation of a state executive office. That information for the Rhode Island Commissioner of Education has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this place, please email us.
The commissioner is appointed by the Rhode Island Board of Regents, and serves at its pleasure.
As the chief education officer in Rhode Island, the commissioner is responsible for the activities of the state department of education. The core functions of the office include:
- coordinates and develops education policy
- manages communications with the general public and policy partners in government, business, and labor
- supports the Board of Regents
- maintains positive community relations
- coordinates intergovernmental relations with the governor, state and local elected and appointed officials, the Rhode Island congressional delegation, and the Rhode Island General Assembly
- coordinates the legal aspects of the department
- ensures compliance with all civil rights laws and regulations
- manages strategic planning and budgeting processes
The official duties of the commissioner are outlined in detail in Title 16 of the Rhode Island general laws.
There are four divisions within the office of the commissioner:
- Equity and access
- Rhode Island education policy
The budget for the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education in Fiscal Year 2013 was $1,195,035,981.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Rhode Island Department of Education
225 Westminster Street
Providence, RI 02903
Phone: (401) 222-4600
E-mail: Hayley Jamroz
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Commissioner of RIDE, "Office of the commissioner," accessed October 7, 2011
- ↑ The Council of State Governments,"The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11," retrieved April 23, 2011
- ↑ Rhode Island general statutes, "Title 16: Education; 16-1-5: Duties of commissioner," accessed October 7, 2011
- ↑ Rhode Island Budget Office, "FY 2013 Appropriations Act," accessed April 10, 2013