Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Waukesha County Circuit Court, Wisconsin|
|Appointed by:||Gov. Jim Doyle|
|Active:||2009 - 2010|
|Preceded by:||Mark Gempeler|
|Undergraduate:||University of Wisconsin-Madison|
|Law School:||Marquette University Law School|
|Grad. School:||Kellogg Foundation in International Development|
Richard Congdon is a former circuit court judge for Branch 2 of Waukesha County, Wisconsin. He was appointed by Governor Jim Doyle in January of 2009 to fill the seat vacated by Mark Gempeler. He was one of five applicants for the seat, and is a previous leader of the Waukesha County Democratic Party. He lost in a judicial election in April of 2010 to Mark Gundrum.
2010 election campaign
- Main article: Wisconsin judicial elections, 2010
Congdon ran for election to the seat he was appointed to in 2009 in the April 6, 2010 election. He was challenged by State Representative Mark Gundrum. Congdon cited that his 30+ years experience as an attorney as reason to elect him.
Congdon had formed the Retain Judge Congdon Committee with former County Executive Dan Finley who served as Honorary Chair. He was supported in his election campaign by current judges Ralph Ramirez, James Kieffer, Robert Mawdsley, Lee Dreyfus, Kathryn Foster, Neil Nettesheim, Patrick Snyder and former judges Mark Gempeler, Jess Martinez, Ness Flores, and Waukesha Municipal Judge Joseph L. Cook.
As of the campaign finance report available on February 1, 2010, Congdon had raised $22,400 compared to Gundrum's $97,000.
Congdon received his B.A. from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 1971 and his law degree from Marquette University Law School in 1974. He also earned a fellowship from the Kellogg Foundation in International Development, 1997-1999.
Prior to his appointment to the Waukesha County Circuit Court, Congdon was an attorney and had served as a court commissioner.
- Appointed supplemental court commissioner, 1992 - 2009
- Served on Waukesha County Committee of Office of Lawyer Regulation, 1996 - 2004
- Commissioner of the Southeastern Wisconsin Regional Planning Commission, 1986 - 1992
- Member of the Waukesha Board of Review, 2000 - 2006
- Wisconsin Court System, "Circuit Courts," accessed May 30, 2014
- Waukesha County Circuit Court
- The Clock Is Ticking On "Richard Of 500 Days," by Jeff Wagner
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel "State legislator announces run for Waukesha County judgeship," November 13, 2009
- JSOnline.com, "Gundrum defeats Congdon for Waukesha County judge seat," April 6, 2010
- Spring Primary Candidates
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel "Waukesha County judicial candidates spar over experience," March 14, 2010
- Congdon Campaign Press Release "Announces formation of Retain Judge Congdon Committee," November 13, 2009