Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|U.S. House, Washington, District 10|
|High school||Ashland High School|
|Bachelor's||University of Massachusetts, Amherst|
|Master's||Golden Gate University|
|Service/branch||United States Air Force|
|Place of birth||Fairbanks, Alaska|
Muri earned his Bachelor's in Environmental Health from the University of Massachusetts at Amherst and his Masters in Public Administration from the Golden Gate University. He served in the United States Air Force for 22 years. He also has served as Pierce County Councilmember for District 6.
Muri listed some key issues of his campaign:
- "As your congressman, Dick Muri will choose to work with both parties to balance the budget. It will require courage to make tough decisions. Popular entitlement programs must be reformed. Waste in the Defense budget must be cut. The tax code must be re-written to be fairer, flatter and less prone to the political abuses that allow massive corporations, like GE, to avoid paying taxes – effectively shifting taxes to small businesses and the middle class.
- Dick Muri wants a restoration of federalism. Ending federal funding for education, healthcare and other programs would be disastrous, but we can reduce the mandates that accompany this money. Dick Muri will trust states, local governments and the people to make decisions for themselves.
- Muri favors a timely withdrawal from Afghanistan. Muri opposes major cuts to national defense, but will work to cut wasteful spending from the defense budget. He opposes Congress’ thoughtless plan to waste tax payer money on a second engine for the F-35 and will apply this same commonsense to future defense procurement decisions.
- Dick will join with pro-job Democrats to require all federal rules meet a basic cost-benefit-analysis to ensure that we’re protecting workers and the environment without destroying family wage jobs.
Muri ran in the 2012 election for the U.S. House, representing Washington's 10th District. Muri and Denny Heck advanced past the blanket primary and faced off in the general election on November 6,2012. Heck won.
The 10th district was added in 2012 as a result of the 2010 Census findings. The new district was seen as favorable to Democrats.
|U.S. House, Washington, District 10 General Election, 2012|
|Source: Washington Secretary of State "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
|U.S. House, Washington District 10, 2012 - Richard Muri Campaign Contributions|
|Total Raised by Election Winner||$2,053,754|
|Total Spent by Election Winner||$2,018,842|
|Top contributors to Richard Muri's campaign committee|
|Top 5 industries that contributed to campaign committee|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Richard + Muri + Washington + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
Muri is married with four children and four grandchildren.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 CNN "Washington Districts Race - 2012 Election Center"
- ↑ Campaign website "Biography"
- ↑ Campaign website "Balanced Budget"
- ↑ Campaign website "Federalism"
- ↑ Campaign website "Veterans"
- ↑ Campaign Website "Economy"
- ↑ AP Primary Results
- ↑ Politico "Washington redistricting plan a small win for Democrats," December 28, 2011
- ↑ Open Secrets "Richard Muri 2012 Election Cycle," Accessed April 10, 2013
- ↑ Campaign website "Biography"