|Arizona Corporation Commission|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next election||November 8, 2016|
|Arizona State Senate District 9|
|January 2003 – 2011|
|Arizona House of Representatives|
|1989 – 2000|
|Birthday||May 26, 1938|
|Place of birth||Rolfe, Iowa|
|Profession||President, BMG Investments Incorporated|
Burns attended several different schools. He began by attending the U.S Navy Aviation Preparatory School and later went on to attend the U.S. Navy Avionics Technician School. Following his Navy schooling, he attended the General Electric Computer Programming School as well as Glendale Community College.
Burns is a former volunteer lobbyist for the Arizona Association of Child Care Management. He worked in the Navy as an Aviation Electronics Technician from 1958 to 1962. After his service in the Navy he became a programming analyst for General Electric and Honeywell, where he worked until 1978. He was also employed by Rainbow Elementary Prep Schools from 1971 to 1997. Burns then worked for Dairy Queen of Sun City West until 1999. He has been the president of BMG Investments Incorporated since 1971 and has worked for Christmas Cottage-Gifts and Collectibles since 1995.
In 1978, Burns began his political career as a precinct committee-person for the Deputy Registrar. He served as Legislative District Chair in 1986. He was later elected to the Arizona State House of Representatives in 1989 and served until 2000. In 2003, Burns was elected to the Arizona State Senate to represent the 9th district, which included a stint as President of the Senate.
Burns served on the following committee:
- Rules Committee, Arizona Senate Chairperson
See Robert Burns official website for information about sponsored legislation.
Arizona Corporation Commission (2012-Present)
Burns was first elected in 2012.
Burns ran for Arizona Corporation Commission in 2012. A total of three seats were up for election on the Arizona Corporation Commission in 2012. Incumbent Bob Stump and Susan Bitter Smith ran in the August 28 Republican primary. Burns won in the general election on November 6, 2012 general election.
|Arizona Corporation Commission General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Paul Newman Incumbent||15.5%||868,726|
|Democratic||Sandra Kennedy Incumbent||15.4%||862,876|
|Republican||Bob Stump Incumbent||17.5%||979,034|
|Republican||Susan Bitter Smith||16.7%||935,575|
|Election Results via Arizona Secretary of State.|
|Arizona Corporation Commission-Republican Primary, 2012|
|Bob Stump Incumbent||34.9%||280,838|
|Robert "Bob" Burns||31.7%||255,367|
|Susan Bitter Smith||32.9%||264,545|
|Election Results Via: The Arizona Secretary of State|
- See also: Arizona State Senate elections, 2010
Burns was ineligible to run for re-election to the state Senate in 2010 due to Arizona's term limits.
In 2008 Burs was re-elected to the Arizona State Senate, District 9. He finished with 40,214 while his opponent Karen Price finished with 32,236 votes. Burns raised $40,370 for his campaign funds.
|Arizona State Senate, District 9|
|Robert Burns (R)||40,214|
|Karen Price (D)||32,236|
In 2008 Burns raised $40,370 in campaign donations. Listed below are his top four contributors.
|Arizona Association of Realtors||$1,000|
|Salt River Valley Water Users Association||$1,000|
|Home Builders Associatino of Central Arizona||$700|
|Arizona Multihousing Association||$500|
Robert has two children with his wife Gayle.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Robert + Burns + Arizona"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Judge orders more monitoring for Cowboys DT - WMC-TV
- James Turrell interview - Financial Times
- Robert Gautney: Rich Gilkey is lone local qualifier for State Amateur in Monterey - Bakersfield Californian
- Reuben Baisch - Bismarck Tribune
- Darryl Brewer, Jodi Arias' Ex-Boyfriend: 'There Was A Whole Other Life To Jodi' - Huffington Post
- DVD reviews: 'The Last Stand,' 'Side Effects' and 'Parker' - HispanicBusiness.com
- Glenn's homer burns Dragons, lifting Silver Hawks - WSBT-TV
- Trout hits for cycle, drives in 5, Angels rout M's - WMC-TV
- 5/18 Arizona Cardinals news: wrapping up the 1st week of OTAs - Revenge of the Birds
- 'Parker,' 'Side Effects' Arrive on DVD, Blu-ray - Highbrow Magazine
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
- Arizona Corporation Commission
- Official Arizona State Senate website of Senator Robert Burns
- Project Vote Smart biographical profile
- Campaign Contributions: 2008 2006 2002 1998
- 2012 Campaign website
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Arizona Secretary of State "Election Results 2012" Accessed November 7, 2012
- ↑ Arizona Legislature, "Robert Burns bio," accessed July 5, 2012
- ↑ Phoenix Business Journal, "Campaign season starts early for Arizona Corporation Commission," January 10, 2012
- ↑ Arizona Secretary of State, "2012 primary election candidates," accessed May 30, 2012
- ↑ Arizona State Senate official election results
- ↑ Campaign donations
|Arizona Corporation Commission
| Succeeded by|
|Arizona State Senate District 9
| Succeeded by|