Robin Hastings recall, Moreno Valley, California (2009)
Robin Hastings took office as a city council member, representing the 3rd Council District in Moreno Valley, in December 2008.
Those supporting the recall cited the following reasons for supporting a recall effort:
- They object to her vote in February 2009 in favor of a 1.8 million-square-foot Skechers distribution center.
- The developer of the Skechers shoe warehouse donated money to the Moreno Valley Taxpayers Association, which paid for ads in 2008 encouraging the elections of Hastings to her seat on the council.
- The shoe warehouse will not bring very many new jobs to the city but will increase truck traffic.
Supporters of Hastings responded to the charges made by recall supporters by saying:
- The shoe warehouse won unanimous support on the City Council. If Hastings had voted "no," the vote in favor would have been 4-1.
- The California Fair Political Practices Commission said there was no legal conflict of interest in Hastings being supported in her election campaign by the warehouse developer and voting for the warehouse.
- The Skechers warehouse will bring jobs to the city, which has 14,000 unemployed residents.