Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Idaho Director of Labor|
|January 2, 1995 - November 15, 2013|
|Elections and appointments|
|Appointed||January 2, 1995|
|Appointed by||Governor Phil Batt|
|Idaho State Senate|
|Bachelor's||Washington State University|
|Master's||American Graduate School of International Management|
|J.D.||Brigham Young University|
|Place of birth||Logan, Utah|
Before becoming director of labor, Madsen was a member of the Idaho Senate from 1988 to 1990 and, again, from 1992 to 1994. He was an assistant attorney general at the Idaho Department of Employment from 1976 to 1980 and was an attorney and business consultant until his appointment in 1995.
- J.D., Brigham Young University
- M.B.A., American Graduate School of International Management
- MA, political science, Brigham Young University
- B.A., political science and French, Washington State University
Director of Labor (1995-2013)
Federal jobless benefits
In November 2011, Madsen faced criticism and calls for his resignation after saying he did not support extending federal jobless benefits to Idaho as they have created a culture of entitlement and welfare. Gov. Butch Otter defended Madsen's statements while Idaho Democrats called for his resignation.
Idaho Democratic Party chairman Larry Grant stated, “Madsen is advocating for the one percent (as all R’s do). It is actions by the one percent, such as these, that threw workers from the 99 percent into unemployment in the first place.” Madsen shot back, saying, “We are not Democrats or Republicans at the Idaho Department of Labor. We respect all Idahoans including the employed, the unemployed and the state’s business owners.”
Idaho Senate (1988-1990, 1992-1994)
Comprehensive donor information for Madsen is available dating back to 1990. Based on available campaign finance records, Madsen raised a total of $97,908 during that time period. This information was last updated on July 9, 2013.
|Roger Madsen's Campaign Contribution History|
|1994||Idaho State Senate District 18||$23,320|
|1992||Idaho State Senate District 18||$56,046|
|1990||Idaho State Senate District 18||$18,542|
|Grand Total Raised||$97,908|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Roger + Madsen + Idaho + Labor"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- State Impact Idaho, "Meet Idaho Department of Labor Director Roger Madsen," accessed September 4, 2012
- Office of the Governor of Idaho, "News release: KEN EDMUNDS NAMED NEW IDAHO DEPARTMENT OF LABOR DIRECTOR," November 15, 2013
- The Spokesman-Review, "Otter names Ken Edmunds to replace retiring Roger Madsen as Labor Chief," November 15, 2013
- Boise Weekly.com, "Labor Department Director Will Be Jobless Soon... He's Retiring," August 11, 2013
- Idaho Public Television, "Opinion: Director of the Department of Labor, Roger Madsen, makes another save," accessed June 12, 2013
- Idaho Statesman, "Otter backs Madsen on ending federal jobless benefits," November 11, 2011
- State Impact, "Madsen Responds to Dem’s Resignation Call," November 10, 2011
- Follow the Money, "Career fundraising for Roger B. Madsen," accessed July 9, 2013
|Idaho Director of Labor
| Succeeded by|
|Idaho State Senate
| Succeeded by|