For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
|Former candidate for|
|Utah State Senate District 4|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2, 2010|
|Utah State Senate District 7|
|2007 - 2013|
|Utah House of Representatives|
|2004 - 2006|
|Bachelor's||University of Utah, 1993|
|J.D.||University of Michigan Law School, 1996|
Romero earned his B.S. from the University of Utah in 1993 and his J.D. from the University of Michigan Law School in 1996. His professional experience includes working as a banker and attorney.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Romero served on the following committees:
- Executive Appropriations
- Judiciary, Law Enforcement, and Criminal Justice Committee, Utah State Senate
- Legislative Management Committee, Utah State Legislature
- Revenue and Taxation Committee, Utah State Senate
- Rural Development Legislative Liaison Committee, Utah State Legislature
- Subcommittee on Higher Education Appropriations
- Subcommittee on Legislative Audit
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Romero served on the following committees:
- Judiciary, Law Enforcement, and Criminal Justice Committee, Utah Senate
- Revenue and Taxation Committee, Utah Senate
Romero's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Excerpt: "Post-secondary education is pivotal for the continued success in Utah. Post-secondary institutions are critical for the development of citizenship, community, and economic growth. While funding for education should be prioritized, every year, the higher education base budget is at risk of further cuts."
- Excerpt: "Ross will work with polluting industries and air quality organizations to come up with positive and proactive solutions to cleaning up the air."
A World Class Education
- Excerpt: "We need to reduce class sizes by putting more teachers in the class room. We need to give teachers the tools to encourage college and career ready instruction. We need to ensure our teachers remain effective by providing teachers with ongoing professional development, training and support."
Responsible Environmental Policy
- Excerpt: "We need to get serious about regulations to clean our air, immediately. There needs to be a greater emphasis on protecting our canyons from irresponsible development and short-sighted exploitation."
- Excerpt: "Ross supports equality."
- See also: Utah State Senate elections, 2014
Elections for the office of Utah State Senate took place in 2014. A primary election took place on June 24, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 20, 2014. Jani Iwamoto defeated Ross Romero in the Democratic convention. Philip Carlson was defeated by Sabrina Petersen in the Republican convention. Iwamoto defeated Petersen in the general election.
|Utah State Senate District 4, General Election, 2014|
|Republican||Sabrina R. Petersen||40%||13,084|
- See also: Utah State Senate elections, 2010
|Utah State Senate, District 7, General Election 2010|
|Ross Romero (D)||19,596|
|Eric Johnson (R)||9,666|
Romero raised $90,850 for his campaign while Jolley raised $61,630 and Beck raised $0.
|Utah State Senate, District 7 (2006)|
|Ross Romero (D)||18,589|
|Bryce Jolley (R)||9,950|
|Jared Beck (I)||462|
In 2010, Romero received $105,583 in campaign donations. The top contributors are listed below.
|Utah State Senate 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Ross Romero's campaign in 2010|
|Utah State Senate Democrats||$5,000|
|Consumer Lending Alliance||$3,000|
|Utah Association Of Realtors||$3,000|
|Total Raised in 2010||$105,583|
In 2006, a year in which Romero was up for election, he collected $90,850 in donations.
His four largest contributors in 2006 were:
|Utah Education Association||$5,000|
|Scott Matheson for Governor||$4,000|
|Senate Democrats of Utah||$3,000|
|Utah Bankers Association||$2,750|
The Sutherland Institute Scorecard
The Sutherland Institute, "a conservative public policy think tank" in Utah, releases its Scorecard for Utah State Representatives and Senators once a year. The Score Card gives each legislator a score based on how they voted in the prior legislative term on specific issues which the Sutherland Institute thought were pro-conservative policies.
Ross Romero received a score of 25% in the 2012 score card.
- Official campaign website
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006
- Ross Romero on Twitter
- Utah Lieutenant Governor, "2014 Candidate Filings," accessed March 21, 2014
- rossromero.com, "Issues," accessed May 23, 2014
- Salt Lake Tribune, "Big day for women at Salt Lake Democratic convention," April 12, 2014
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- Utah Secretary of State, "Official candidate list," accessed May 23, 2014
- Utah Secretary of State, "Official 2010 General election results," accessed May 23, 2014
- Utah Secretary of State, "Official 2006 General election results," accessed May 23, 2014
- Follow the Money, "2006 Utah Senate Spending," accessed May 23, 2014
- Follow the Money, "2010 contributions," accessed December 23, 2013
- Follow the Money, "2006 Contributions," accessed May 23, 2014
- Sutherland Institute, "2012 Legislative Session," accessed March 29, 2014
- Sutherland Institute, "2012 Sutherland Institute Legislative Scorecard," accessed October 1, 2014
|Utah House District 7
| Succeeded by|
|Utah Senate District 7
| Succeeded by|
Deidre Henderson (R)