|U.S. House, New Mexico, District 2|
|Elections and appointments|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Eddy County Commissioner|
|Bachelor's||New Mexico State University|
|Place of birth||Carlsbad, New Mexico|
Lara is an attorney and a former Eddy County Commissioner. She left the commissioner's office in hopes of becoming chairwoman of the New Mexico Democratic Party. After failing to secure the chairwoman post, Lara decided to launch a campaign for Congress, seeking the 2nd District seat in the U.S. House, currently held by Republican Steve Pearce.
Lara was born in Carlsbad, New Mexico, and raised in a blue collar household. Her father was a career laborer and school board member, while her mother was a member of the United Food and Commercial Workers Union. Lara attended New Mexico State University for her undergraduate studies and later graduated from Texas Tech with her Juris Doctor. She has used her law degree primarily to practice family law at a firm she founded and runs personally.
Following in her school board member father's footsteps, Lara decided to enter public service. She first served in political office as Eddy County Commissioner. After one term in the position, she opted not to seek re-election in order to run for New Mexico Democratic Party chair. Her pursuit of the party leadership post was ultimately unsuccessful, and she subsequently announced her bid for Congress.
Lara is running in the 2014 election for the U.S. House to represent New Mexico's 2nd District. Lara ran uncontested for the Democratic nomination in the primary on June 3, 2014. The general election takes place November 4, 2014.
Lara has received the following endorsements:
|Roxanne Lara (2014) Campaign Finance Reports|
|Report||Date Filed||Beginning Balance||Total Contributions|
for Reporting Period
|Expenditures||Cash on Hand|
|October Quarterly||October 15, 2013||$0.00||$101,684.77||$(236.23)||$101,448.54|
|Year-End||January 31, 2014||$101,448.54||$163,039.86||$(37,446.42)||$227,041.98|
|April Quarterly||April 15, 2014||$227,041.98||$307,259.23||$(90,068.33)||$444,232.88|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Roxanne + Lara + New + Mexico + Congress"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- The Farmington Daily-Times, "Roxanne Lara puts in bid for Congress," September 3, 2013
- Alamogordo Daily News, "Carlsbad Democrat Roxanne Lara enters race for Congress," September 3, 2013
- New Mexico Politics with Joe Monahan, "Pundits Say No First Round Knock Out of "Rocky" Lara By Pearce As Race In South Is Joined," September 4, 2013
- Rocky Lara for Congress 2014 Official Campaign Website, "Homepage," accessed September 4, 2013
- Associated Press, "New Mexico Summary Vote Results," June 3, 2014
- New Mexico Telegram, "Lara endorsed by Blue Dog Democrats," accessed July 14, 2014
- The Washington Post, "DCCC adds nine names to program for top recruits," September 9, 2013
- Federal Election Commission, "Roxanne Lara Summary Report," accessed May 1, 2014
- Federal Election Commission, "Lara for New Mexico October Quarterly," accessed October 30, 2013
- Federal Election Commission, "Lara for New Mexico Year-End," accessed May 1, 2014
- Federal Election Commission, "Lara for New Mexico April Quarterly," accessed May 1, 2014