|Nevada State Senate, District 10|
|2011 - Present|
|Years in position||2|
|Majority Whip, Nevada State Senate|
|2013 - present|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2, 2010|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Next election||November 4, 2014|
|Term limits||3 terms (12 years)|
|Nevada State Assembly|
|2006 - 2010|
|Bachelor's||University of Nevada Las Vegas, 2004|
|Place of birth||Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico|
|Profession||Academic Advisor, Community College of Southern Nevada|
Kihuen earned his Bachelor of Science in Education from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, in 2004, and is a Master of Public Administration candidate at the University of Oklahoma. He is an academic advisor at the Community College of Southern Nevada.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Kihuen served on the following committees:
|Nevada Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Judiciary, Vice Chair|
|• Revenue and Economic Development, Chair|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Kihuen served on these committees:
|Nevada Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Education, Vice Chair|
|• Health and Human Services|
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, while in the Nevada Assembly, Kihuen served on these committees:
|Nevada Committee Assignments, 2009|
|• Corrections, Parole, and Probation|
|• Elections, Procedures, Ethics, and Constitutional Amendments|
Kihuen ran in the 2012 election for the U.S. House, representing Nevada's 1st District. He was seeking the nomination on the Democratic ticket, but he dropped out of the race in January 2012. He would have faced Dina Titus in the June 12, 2012 primary. Incumbent Democrat Rep. Shelley Berkley is seeking election to the U.S. Senate.
- See also: Nevada State Senate elections, 2010
|Nevada State Senate, Clark 10 General election (2010)|
|Ruben Kihuen (D)||8,397|
|Henry Tyler (R)||3,438|
|Glenn Brown (D)||808|
Kihuen raised $104,753 for his campaign.
|Nevada State Assembly, District 11 (2008)|
|Ruben Kihuen (D)||4,288||81.12%|
Campaign donor information is not yet available for this year.
In 2010, a year in which Kihuen was up for re-election, he collected $17,500 in donations.
Listed below are the four largest contributors to Kihuen's 2010 campaign.
|Plumbers & Pipefitters Local 525||$2,500|
|Searchlight Leadership Fund||$2,000|
Listed below are the five largest contributors to Ruben Kihuen's 2008 campaign.
|Clark County Education Association||$5,000|
|Plumbers & Pipefitters Local 525||$5,000|
|Nevada Power Co.||$3,000|
Nevada Policy Research Institute
The Nevada Policy Research Institute, a Nevada-based conservative-libertarian think tank, releases a "Legislative Report Card" evaluating members of the Nevada State Legislature on "each lawmaker's voting record on legislation impacting the degree of economic freedom and education reform." Bills determined by the Institute to be of greater significance are weighted accordingly. According to the Institute, "a legislator with a score above 50 is considered to be an ally of economic liberty".
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Ruben + Kihuen + Nevada + Senate"
- Nevada Senate Approves Driving Privilege Cards - ClaimsJournal.com
- Nevada Senate OKs bill to allow driving privilege cards - Las Vegas Sun
- Higher dues for homeowners at stake in HOA legislation - Las Vegas Sun
- Nevada Bill Would Have Schools Promote Abortion, Sex-Ed to Kids - LifeNews.com
- Nevada senator comes out during debate - Chicago Phoenix
- Kihuen recalls Flores' courage as senate committee hears sex education bill today - Reno Gazette Journal (blog)
- Sex has 'virtually nothing' to do with teen pregnancy ... What the --? - Las Vegas Review-Journal (blog)
- Las Vegas Review Journal's Column Falsely Quotes Legislators To Mock Sex ... - Media Matters for America (blog)
- Kirkpatrick pitches admissions tax - Nevada Appeal
- Nevada Bill Would Tax Brothels, Burning Man Festival Eight Percent - Opposing Views
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
- Ruben Kihuen's personal website
- Nevada Assembly - Rep. Ruben Kihuen
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2010, 2008, 2006
- ↑ Las Vegas Review Journal "Kihuen to pursue 1st Congressional seat" Accessed February 4, 2012
- ↑ Nevada Secretary of State - 2010 General Election Results
- ↑ Nevada Secretary of State - 2008 General Election Results
- ↑ 2008 Follow the Money's report on Ruben's 2008 campaign contributions
- ↑ 2010 campaign contributions
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Nevada Policy Research Institute, "The 2011 Nevada Legislative Session Review & Report Card"
Bob Coffin (D)
|Nevada State Senate District 11
| Succeeded by|
|Nevada State Assembly District 11
| Succeeded by|