Rules Committee, Mississippi State Senate
The Rules Committee is a standing committee of the Mississippi State Senate. Per Senate Rule 65, membership consists of the non-voting President of the Senate, the President Pro Tempore as the chair, and four senators of at least four years' tenure, one from each congressional district.
Per Rules 7, 36 and 37 of the Senate Rules, committees of the Mississippi State Senate are appointed by the Lieutenant Governor of Mississippi, who serves as the President of the Senate. After the adoption of Senate Rules, the committees are appointed. The first person named to a committee by the President shall serve as the chair, with the second serving as the vice chair. Any vacancies that have occurred in any committees after members have been appointed will be filled by the President.
See rules: Senate Rules
|“||A committee of the Senate shall report on the sufficiency of the titles of all bills and resolutions before their being put on final passage; and it shall be in order, before the passage of every bill or resolution, to move to commit or recommit for report upon the sufficiency of the title. Titles shall indicate clearly the subject matter of the proposed legislation.||”|
|“||(2) The Rules Committee shall, in addition to the functions of a standing committee and any other responsibilities assigned by the Senate, perform the following duties:
(a) Conduct the business affairs of the Senate;
(3) The committee may designate the Secretary of the Senate to be responsible for the day-to-day administration of the duties assigned to the committee and for implementing the policies of the committee adopted pursuant to this rule.
(4) The committee shall function on a year-round basis; and, when the Legislature is not in session, members of the committee shall be compensated as provided in Section 25-3-69, Mississippi Code of 1972, for each day spent in actual discharge of their duties and shall receive the expense allowance and mileage reimbursement provided in Section 5-1-47, Mississippi Code of 1972. No committee member may incur per diem, travel or expense allowance unless authorized by vote at a meeting of the committee, which action shall be recorded in the official minutes of the committee. The Rules Committee shall meet at such times as are necessary for the proper exercise of its functions and may adopt rules and regulations, not inconsistent with the rules of the Senate, as it deems necessary for the efficient operation of the committee. Action by a majority vote of the Rules Committee shall be conclusive on any matter properly within the jurisdiction of the committee.
(5) (a) In providing for the staffing of the President's office, the Rules Committee shall fill up to six (6) positions when requested by the President, and the persons employed for such positions shall be hired with the approval of the President. The President shall recommend the compensation to be paid to the President's staff, and the Rules Committee may pay the compensation so established.
(6) In providing for the staffing of committees, the Rules Committee shall have the responsibility for determining the necessity of any staff positions requested by the chairman of a committee.
(7) The Rules Committee shall cooperate with the House Management Committee in maintaining a Joint Legislative Printing Office and a reference library which shall contain, but shall not be limited to, study reports and information gathered by the departments and the various committees of the Legislature so as to provide a continuity of information from year to year.
(8) The Rules Committee shall have the responsibility for the proper operation of the Senate Legislative Services Office.
(9) The Rules Committee shall have jurisdiction over any questions concerning improper or unethical conduct by members of the Senate.
(10) The funds necessary to carry out the provisions of this rule shall be paid from the Senate Contingent Fund.
2015 legislative session
The following table describes committee membership at the beginning of the 2015 legislative session.
|Rules Members, 2015|
|Democratic members (1)||Republican members (4)|
|• John Horhn||• Giles Ward, Chair|
|• Terry Burton|
|• Billy Hudson|
|• Gray Tollison|
- Mississippi Legislature, "Senate Rules," accessed January 30, 2014 (Rule 36)
- Mississippi Legislature, "Senate Rules," accessed January 30, 2014 Rule 65(1)
- Mississippi Legislature, "Senate Rules," accessed January 17, 2014 (Rules 7, 36 and 37)
- Mississippi Legislature, "Senate Rules," accessed January 17, 2014 (Rule 37)
- Mississippi Legislature, "Senate Rules," accessed January 30, 2014 (Rule 41)
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Mississippi Legislature, "Senate Rules," accessed January 30, 2014 Rule 65