For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
|Hawaii Commissioner of Agriculture|
|December 2010 - December 2013|
|Elections and appointments|
|Appointed by||Governor Neil Abercrombie|
|Hawaii State Senate|
|Hawaii County Council|
- 1 Biography
- 2 Political career
- 3 Elections
- 4 Campaign donors
- 5 Scorecards
- 6 Personal
- 7 Recent news
- 8 See also
- 9 External links
- 10 References
Kokubun was a Councilmember for the Hawaii County Council from 1984 to 1988. He was also Chair of the Hawaii County Council from 1984 to 1992. In 1992 he was a candidate for Hawaii County Mayor. He was appointed to Executive Assistant to the Mayor for the County of Hawaii from 1995 to 1997. He was then appointed to be Deputy Planning Director in June of 1997 and he served in that position until 2000.
Kokubun was a Farm Laborer for Kamuela from 1974 to 1975. Kokubun worked as an Operator for Hydroponic Greenhouse in Keaau from 1975 to 1978. He also was manager of Hilo Natural Foods Store from 1975 to 1978. He then worked as an Accountant for Volcano Art Center from 1980 to 1981. He has also worked as a farm owner/operator from 1978 to 1988. From 1992 to 1995 he was a Project Manager for Hilo Main Street Program for Hilo Downtown Improvement Association.
- BBA, Business administration, Southern Methodist University (1971)
Hawaii Commissioner of Agriculture (2010-2013)
Hawaii State Senate (2000-2010)
Senate Committee assignments
- Committee on Energy and Environment, Hawaii Senate
- Committee on Higher Education, Hawaii Senate
- Committee on Water, Land, Agriculture and Hawaiian Affairs, Hawaii Senate
- Committee on Ways and Means, Hawaii Senate
- See also: Hawaii State Senate elections, 2010
Kokubun won re-election to the 2nd District seat in 2010. Kokubun defeated Timothy Waugh in the September 18 primary. The general election took place on November 2, 2010. Kokubun defeated Michael Hale (R) in the general election.
| Hawaii State Senate, District 2 |
2010 General election results
|Russell Kokubun (D)||13,432||69.5%|
|Michael Hale (R)||4,381||22.7%|
Comprehensive donor information for Kokubun is available dating back to 2002. Based on available campaign finance records, Kokubun raised a total of $135,666 during that time period. This information was last updated on July 9, 2013.
In 2008, a year in which he was not up for re-election, Kokubun collected $8,450 in campaign donations. The five largest contributors to his campaign were as follows:
|Moon Soo Park||$2,000|
|Plumbers and Pipefitters||$2,000|
|Syngenta Crop Protection||$500|
In 2006, Kokubun collected $21,350 in campaign donations. The five largest contributors to his campaign were as follows:
|University of Hawaii Professional Assembly||$4,000|
|Ocean Tourism Coalition||$1,000|
|Island Insurance Company||$1,000|
|RJ Reynolds Tobacco||$1,000|
Hawaii Grassroot Institute
- See also: Hawaii Grassroot Institute Scorecard
The Grassroot Institute issued its 2010 Legislative Score Card that tallied the votes of Hawaii legislators and graded their votes based on the Institute's values of individual liberty, free markets, and limited government. The Institute observed state legislators' votes on issues involving taxes, spending, scope of government, business climate, and raids on special funds. Kokubun received a total score of 5%. Here are the scores Kokubun received based on specific categories.
|2010 Hawaii Senate Legislative Scorecard|
|Taxes||Business climate||Spending||Individual liberty||Raids||Scope of government|
Kokubun and his wife, Anne, have two children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Russell + Kokubun + Hawaii + Agriculture"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Chairperson's Office
- Hawaii Department of Agriculture
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002
- Kokubun's twitter
- The Star-Advertiser, "Agriculture director Kokubun retiring," November 30, 2013
- The Civil Beat, "Abercrombie Agriculture Director Leaving, Will Help Hanabusa Campaign," November 11, 2014
- Governor of Hawaii Neil Abercrombie, "Press Releases: Governor Names Scott Enright Board of Agriculture Chair," December 26, 2014
- Honolulu Star Advertiser, "Senate replacement appointed for Kokubun seat," January 11, 2011
- Project Vote Smart, "Russell S. Kokubun's biography," accessed July 25, 2012
- Hawaii Secretary of State, "Official 2010 General election results," accessed December 13, 2013
- District 2 Hawaii Senate candidate funds, 2006
- Follow the Money, "Career fundraising for Shan S. Tsutsui," accessed July 9, 2013
- 2008 contributions to Russell Kokubun
- 2006 contributions to Russell Kokubun
- Grassroot Institute of Hawaii, "2010 Legislative Score Card," accessed October 23, 2013
|Hawaii Commissioner of Agriculture
| Succeeded by|
|Hawaii State Senate - District 2
| Succeeded by|
Gilbert Kahele (D)