Ryan Smith (Ohio)
|Ohio House of Representatives District 93|
|2012 - Present|
|January 1, 2015|
|Years in position||2|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Appointed by||House Republican Caucus|
|Term limits||4 terms (8 years)|
|High school||Gallia Academy High School, 1991|
|Bachelor's||Ohio State University, 1995|
Smith earned his B.S. in Finance from Ohio State University in 1995. He is a financial consultant, partner and vice president at Smith Financial Advisors of Hilliard Lyons. Smith served two terms on the Gallipolis City School Board.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Smith served on the following committees:
|Ohio Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Finance and Appropriations|
|• Health and Aging|
Smith's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Excerpt: "The funding of primary and secondary education has been a hotly debated topic for years at the state level and is one of the largest line item expenses in the state’s budget. Rural schools must have a strong voice in Columbus to defend their position since the reliance on local property taxes continues to be the great divide in an equal education for every Ohio student. Consequently, the pressures on rural schools’ budgets have forced them to shrink their workforce, which often increases class sizes and diminishes the effectiveness of our educators. This is a problem that we cannot outrun. We must roll up our sleeves and work hard to find a solution to help give our children the best possible chance to be successful in life."
- Excerpt: "Much like education, the health and human services allotment in the state’s biennial budget is one of the largest demands on the general fund. We must continue to find efficiencies in order to control this expense without sacrificing the quality of the services being offered to the residents of the great state of Ohio."
- Excerpt: "For too long we have watched many of our most talented children leave rural Ohio to take advantage of job opportunities in the hi-tech arena that were not available locally. As your State Representative, I will work hard to find ways to utilize our state resources to recruit business to fill this void and to keep our children and grandchildren in our communities."
- Excerpt: "Through my profession as a financial consultant and having served as President of the Chamber of Commerce and Community Improvement Corporation I have had the pleasure to work with many business owners and I have a good understanding of the many challenges they face. I believe we need smaller government to help reduce the red tape that has been created and acts as an impediment to start new businesses and to growth in existing businesses."
Elections for the office of Ohio House of Representatives took place in 2014. A primary election took place on May 6, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was February 5, 2014. Josh Bailey was unopposed in the Democratic primary, while incumbent Ryan Smith was unopposed in the Republican primary. Chris Armstrong (L) withdrew from the race before the general election. Smith defeated Bailey in the general election.
|Ohio House of Representatives, District 93 General Election, 2014|
|Republican||Ryan Smith Incumbent||70%||19,129|
Smith won election in the 2012 election for Ohio House District 93. Smith defeated James Riepenhoff and Bill Dingus in the March 6 Republican primary election and defeated Josh Bailey (D) in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Ohio House of Representatives, District 93, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Ryan Smith Incumbent||64.2%||29,866|
|Ohio State House of Representatives, District 93 Republican Primary, 2012|
Comprehensive donor information for Smith is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, Smith raised a total of $168,750 during that time period. This information was last updated on June 5, 2013.
|Ryan Smith's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Ohio State House, District 93||$168,750|
|Grand Total Raised||$168,750|
2012Smith won re-election to the Ohio State House in 2012. During that election cycle, Smith raised a total of $168,750.
|Ohio State House 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Ryan Smith's campaign in 2012|
|Ohio Republican Party||$59,743|
|Smith, Kevin R.||$6,000|
|Smith, Kevin R.||$3,747|
|Gallia Country Century Club||$3,100|
|Davis, Evan E.||$3,000|
|Total Raised in 2012||$168,750|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
- The American Conservative Union: 2013 Legislative scorecard
- Legislators are scored on their votes on key conservative issues.
- Innovation Ohio: 130th General Assembly - Women's Issues Scorecard
- Legislators are scored based on their votes on women’s issues.
Smith and his wife, Vicki, have four children. They currently reside in Bidwell, Ohio.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Ryan + Smith + Ohio + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Ohio House of Representatives
- House Committees
- Ohio General Assembly
- Joint Committees
- Ohio state legislative districts
- Official campaign website
- Profile from the Ohio House of Representatives
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Ryan Smith on Facebook
- Ryan Smith on Twitter
- Campaign contributions: 2012
- Chillicothe Gazette, "Smith appointed to state House seat," April 19, 2012 (timed out)
- ryansmith2012.com - Issues (dead link)
- Ohio Secretary of State, "Official primary election results for May 6, 2014," accessed July 3, 2014
- Ohio Chamber of Commerce, "2012 General Assembly Primary Candidates," January 17, 2012
- Ohio Secretary of State - March 6, 2012 election results
- followthemoney.org, "Smith, Ryan," accessed June 5, 2013
|Ohio House of Representatives - District 93
| Succeeded by|
|Ohio House of Representatives - District 87
| Succeeded by|
Jeffrey McClain (R)
State of Ohio
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of State | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Superintendent of Industrial Compliance and Labor | Chairman of Public Utilities |