|Former candidate for|
|Attorney General of Texas|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||University of Texas at Austin|
|Place of birth||Colorado City, Texas|
Following his graduation from law school, Houston joined the firm of Andrews & Kurth. He is currently a partner at Shepherd, Scott, Clawater & Houston, L.L.P.
- Bachelor's, University of Texas in Austin
- J.D., Baylor Law School
- See also: Texas attorney general election, 2014
Houston ran for election to the office of Attorney General of Texas. Houston won the Democratic nomination in the unopposed primary on March 4, 2014. The general election took place November 4, 2014.
|Attorney General of Texas, 2014|
|Election Results via Texas Secretary of State.|
Wainwright was re-elected to the court in 2008.
|Dale Wainwright||Yes||Place 7||Republican||51%|
|Sam Houston||No||Place 7||Democratic||45.8%|
|David Smith||No||Place 7||Libertarian||3%|
On why he ran for office
From a questionnaire featured in The Houston Chronicle:
I am a Democrat and a trial lawyer. It has been my impression and many others (including noted professors at the major law schools here in the state) that our Supreme Court frequently disregards jury verdicts and too often sides with defendants and corporations. I believe that it is time to balance our court, which will best happen by electing a trial lawyer with experience who is also a Democrat. 
—Off the Kuff, (2008) 
At Texas's Democratic Convention
Houston addressed Texas delegates at Texas's 2008 Democratic Convention:
Excerpt: "Our civil justice system is under attack....Our Supreme Court has forgotten several things....They've forgotten that our civil justice system is for everyone. The [Texas] Supreme Court...has become an activist court...the cases decided by our court today will effect you, your children, and your children's children....I've got a great ballot name, but there's got to be more."
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the terms "Sam Houston Texas Attorney General."
- Some of the stories below may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of Google's news search engine.
- Official campaign website
- Dallas Morning News Voter Guide
- Sam Houston's campaign finance disclosures
- Sam Houston for Texas, " Meet Sam Houston," accessed November 21, 2013
- Houston Chronicle, "Democrat announces bid for Attorney General," October 17, 2013
- Texas Secretary of State, 2008 General Election Results
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Off the Kuff blog, "Candidate Q&A: Sam Houston," accessed March 23, 2015
State of Texas
|State executive offices||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Secretary of State | Attorney General | Comptroller | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of General Land Office | Chairman of Workforce Commission | Chairman of Public Utilities | Chairman of Railroad Commission |