|Kansas House of Representatives District 57|
|2009 - 2013|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
Greenwood previously served as a volunteer firefighter and EMT.
Gatewood's website highlights the following campaign themes:
On Economic Opportunities and Growth
- Excerpt: "Ensure that our excellent public schools receive adequate funding and that our children continue to receive the knowledge and tools necessary to become active, productive citizens of the 21st century."
For The Best Public Schools in the Nation
- Excerpt: "As the recession starts to turn around we need to continue on a path toward prosperity and ensure job and business opportunities for all Kansans."
On Cheap Energy and a Clean Environment
- Excerpt: "Kansas is the second windiest state in the country. We need to harness that potential to produce clean energy, which in turn will create new jobs."
For A Better Healthcare System for Everyone
- Excerpt: "Find ways to reduce the cost of health care to make it more accessible and affordable for all Kansans, while paying special attention to the needs of our seniors and our children."
On Keeping Our Moral Covenant
- Excerpt: "Defend the most vulnerable of our population by funding necessary social services that are vital to so many disabled Kansans and ensure they receive the care, treatment, and dignity they deserve."
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Gatewood served on the following committees:
- Children and Families Committee, Kansas House of Representatives, Ranking Minority Member
- Children's Issues Committee, Kansas State Legislature
- Federal and State Affairs Committee, Kansas House of Representatives
- Taxation Committee, Kansas House of Representatives
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Gatewood served on the following committees:
- Commerce and Labor Committee, House of Representatives
- Veterans, Military and Homeland Security Committee, House of Representatives
- Vision 2020 Committee, House of Representatives
- Government Efficiency and Fiscal Oversight Committee, House of Representatives
Gatewood refused to take Project Vote Smart's 2008 Political Courage Test. The test, which is administered to all candidates for presidential, congressional, gubernatorial, and state legislative offices, asks one central question - "Are you willing to tell citizens your positions on the issues you will most likely face on their behalf?"
Has not yet sponsored any major legislation.
Gatewood ran for re-election in the 2012 election for Kansas House of Representatives District 50. He ran unopposed in the August 7 Democratic primary and was defeated by Joshua Powell (R) in the general election, which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Kansas House of Representatives, District 50, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Sean Gatewood Incumbent||45.1%||4,913|
|Kansas House of Representatives, District 57 General Election (2010)|
|Sean Gatewood (D)||2,321|
|Keri Strahler (R)||1,976|
On November 4, 2008, Gatewood was elected to the 57th District Seat in the Kansas House of Representatives, defeating Cheryl Reynolds (R). Gatewood raised $21,581 for his campaign, while Reynolds raised $1,871.
|Kansas House of Representatives, District 57|
|Sean Gatewood (D)||4,348||63.7%|
|Cheryl Reynolds (R)||2,471||36.2%|
In 2010, Gatewood received $18,235 in campaign donations. The largest contributors to the campaign are listed below.
|Kansas House of Representatives 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Sean Gatewood's campaign in 2010|
|Kansas Optometric Association||$1,000|
|Kansas National Education Association||$1,000|
|Northeastern Kansas Building & Construction Trades Council||$1,000|
|Kansas Contractors Association||$1,000|
|Kansas Hospital Association||$750|
|Total Raised in 2010||$18,235|
IN 2008 Gatewood collected $21,581 in donations.
Four of his largest contributors were:
|Shawnee County Democratic Legislative Committee||$900|
|Communications Workers of America||$500|
|United Steelworkers 307||$500|
Gatewood and his wife Terica have one child.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Sean + Gatewood + Kansas + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Official campaign website
- Kansas Legislature - Sean Gatewood
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Kansas Votes profile
- Campaign contributions: 2008
- "seangatewood," Official Campaign Website
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Gatewood Issue Positions
- Kansas Legislature - Bills Introduced by Member
- Kansas Secretary of State, "Candidates for the 2012 primary (official)," accessed July 16, 2012
- Kansas Secretary of State, "2012 Primary Election - Official Vote Totals," accessed March 31, 2014
- Kansas Secretary of State, "2010 General Election - Official Vote Totals," accessed March 29, 2014
- Kansas Secretary of State, "2008 General Election - Official Vote Totals," accessed March 29, 2014
- Follow the Money, "Kansas 2008 - Candidates," accessed March 29, 2014
- Follow the Money, "Kansas 2010 - Candidates," accessed March 31, 2014
- Follow the Money - 2008 Campaign Contributions
|Kansas House of Representatives District 57
| Succeeded by|
State of Kansas
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Secretary of Wildlife and Parks | Secretary of Labor | Corporation Commission |