|U.S. House, Massachusetts, District 6|
|January 3, 2015 - Present|
|January 3, 2017|
|Years in position||0|
|Predecessor||John Tierney (D)|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||November 4, 2014|
|Next general||November 8, 2016|
|High school||Phillips Academy Andover|
|Master's||Harvard Business School|
|Other||MPA from John F. Kennedy School of Government|
|Service/branch||U.S. Marine Corps.|
|Years of service||5|
|Service branch||Special Assistant to General Petraeus|
|Place of birth||Salem, Massachusetts|
|Profession||President of Eastern Healthcare Partners|
Moulton was born in Salem, Massachusetts. He attended high school at Phillips Academy Andover, graduating in 1997. Moulton went on to attend Harvard University, where he earned his bachelor's degree in physics in 2001. After graduating, Moulton joined the Marine Corps and served four tours in Iraq between 2002 and 2008.
After completing his military service, Moulton again enrolled at Harvard University, where he earned an MBA from the Harvard Business School and an M.P.A. from the John F. Kennedy School of Government in 2011.
Moulton's professional experience includes working as the former managing director of Texas Central Railway and as the current president and co-founder of Eastern Healthcare Partners.
Below is an abbreviated outline of Moulton's academic, professional and political career:
- 2015-Present: U.S. Representative from Massachusetts' 6th Congressional District
- 2013-Present: President of Eastern Healthcare Partners
- 2011-2012: Managing Director at Texas Railway
- June 2010-August 2010: Summer Associate of Public Sector Infrastructure at Goldman Sachs
- 2011: Graduated from Harvard University with an M.B.A. and an M.P.P.
- 2001-2008: Infantry Officer in the United States Marine Corps
- 2001: Graduated from Harvard University with a B.S.
Moulton serves on the following committees:
Moulton's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Excerpt: "ISIS presents a clear threat to American interests and American national security. They have killed Americans abroad, and made clear their desire to attack Americans here at home. ISIS is an evil organization and our policy should be to defeat them. However, that does not mean we should use American ground troops."
- Excerpt: "Congress is failing our veterans. As a veteran myself, I see it firsthand. We have never had fewer veterans in Congress in our nation’s history, so it’s not surprising that so few Members of Congress understand the urgency of the problem. We can’t solve these problems overnight, but with the right leadership we can begin to fix the system and give veterans the opportunities they have earned."
- Excerpt: "Like millions of Americans, I'm still paying student loan bills every month. I understand firsthand the challenges that come with college debt. I will work to lower both student loan interest rates and tuition costs for today’s college students, so the next generation is not burdened by a mountain of college loan debt."
- Gun Violence
- Excerpt: "American gun policy is firmly on the wrong track. Of the 109 firearm laws passed in state legislatures in the year following the Newtown shooting, 70 of the new laws eased restrictions on gun usage and availability."
- Social Security and Medicare
- Excerpt: "Social Security is one of our greatest achievements of the last century, and a contract between generations that we must honor. However, the current system is threatened because it does not cope with ongoing demographic changes. As our population ages, we need to support those seniors that paid into the system and ensure that future generations also benefit. That's why we need to eliminate the payroll tax cap."
- Jobs and the Economy
- Excerpt: "Congress needs to create the economic environment to spur growth and create new jobs. Instead, today’s Congress is standing in the way and standing by—standing in the way of job growth with partisan gridlock and taxes that hurt small businesses, and standing by as the middle class gets squeezed."
- Excerpt: "As someone with experience in health care, I believe better health care is not just a right, but also smart policy—good health care means better lives, stronger communities, and economic innovation. America spends 52% more per capita on health care than any other country in the world, and yet we rank 12th in health care results. Better health care policy should improve both—improving outcomes across the board, for everyone in America, while also reducing costs and inefficiencies."
Moulton won the 2014 election for the U.S. House to represent Massachusetts' 6th Congressional District. Moulton defeated incumbent John Tierney in the Democratic primary on September 4, 2014, before defeating Richard Tisei (R) in the general election on November 4, 2014.
|U.S. House, Massachusetts District 6 General Election, 2014|
|Source: Massachusetts Secretary of State Official Results|
|U.S. House, Massachusetts District 6 Democratic Primary, 2014|
|John Tierney Incumbent||40.1%||28,915|
|Source: Massachusetts Elections Division|
|Seth Moulton (2014) Campaign Finance Reports|
|Report||Date Filed||Beginning Balance||Total Contributions|
for Reporting Period
|Expenditures||Cash on Hand|
|October Quarterly||October 15, 2013||$0||$355,548||$(53,813)||$301,735|
|Year End||April 15, 2014||$301,735||$253,070||$(159,024)||$395,781|
|April Quarterly||April 15, 2014||$395,781||$469,457||$(214,116)||$651,122|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Seth + Moulton + Massachusetts + Congress"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- The Washington Post, "Seth Moulton Will Challenge John Tierney in Primary," accessed July 14, 2013
- Politico, "2014 Massachusetts House Primaries Results," accessed September 9, 2014
- Politico, "House Election Results," accessed November 12, 2014
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress, "Seth Moulton," accessed January 26, 2015
- National Journal, "Massachusetts-6: Seth Moulton (D)," accessed February 6, 2015
- Campaign Site, "Seth Moulton About Page," accessed February 4, 2015
- Huffington Post, "Seth Moulton," accessed February 6, 2015
- U.S. House of Representatives, Office of the Clerk, "Committee Information," accessed February 18, 2015
- Seth Moulton for Congress, "Issues," accessed February 4, 2015
- The Salem News, "Moulton To Run for Congress," accessed July 14, 2013
- Federal Election Commission, "Seth Moulton 2014 Summary reports," accessed May 15, 2014
- Federal Election Commission, "October Quarterly," accessed May 15, 2014
- Federal Election Commission, "Year End," accessed May 15, 2014
- Federal Election Commission, "April Quarterly," accessed May 12, 2014
John Tierney (D)
|U.S. House of Representatives - Massachusetts, 6th District
| Succeeded by|